Chatter about the the judges on the upcoming 12th season of American Idol intensify as Fox is expected to start completing deals and announce talent right after the Labor Day holiday weekend. Despite all the speculation, Mariah Carey still is the only judge locked in for next season. Nicki Minaj continues to be in negotiations. Keith Urban appears likely to get the “country” chair, for which Fox had approached Brad Paisley early on. The judging panel will likely be extended to four people, with the last spot still vacant. The only surviving original American Idol judge, Randy Jackson, had long been rumored to segue into a mentor role. TMZ today is reporting that as fait accompli, though sources stress that no final decision has been made. Fox chairman Kevin Reilly at TCA indicated that he expected Jackson to be back in some capacity. Also back is Nigel Lythgoe as executive producer and host Ryan Seacrst, who is under a multi-year deal.
'American Idol' Judging Panel Takes Shape
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Andreeva
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'
- Christina Aguilera-Produced Dramedy, Twitter-Based Comedy, Shakespeare-Themed Drama On Prospect Park's Slate