Wall Street believes that time is on Viacom’s side as DirecTV’s 20M customers enter their second week without the programmers’ 17 channels. “Viacom is in a stronger negotiating position” than DirecTV because subscribers who want to watch channels such as Nickelodeon, MTV, and Comedy Central have “plenty of other options” including cable and Dish Network, Dave Novosel of independent corporate bond research service Gimme Credit says this morning. OK, but what would a peace deal look like? Bernstein Research’s Craig Moffett and Todd Junger say that Viacom possibly tipped its hand about one element last week when it yanked a lot of its shows from the Web. That might have signaled Viacom’s willingness to collect higher prices for channels by making them exclusive to pay TV. A concession like that would please DirecTV and other pay TV providers: They resent paying for programming including Nickelodeon shows such as SpongeBob Square Pants that subscribers can see elsewhere either for free or — in the case of streaming services such as Netflix — for a relatively modest subscription fee. It also might work for Viacom. Although the company insists that it’s benefited from having so much TV content online, the Bernstein analysts believe it may be a big reason why ratings have plummeted at Nickelodeon and other channels. “Perhaps you can’t have your cake and eat it too,” they say. Even so, they warn that the spat “may go on a long time” due to the huge gap between what Viacom wants and DirecTV is willing to pay.
Will Viacom Make Peace With DirecTV By Agreeing To Pull More Shows Off The Web?
What's Hot on Deadline
NY Times Responds To Bill O'Reilly Spokesman's Claims That They "Maliciously Smeared" Ex-Fox News Host — Updated
One America Appeal: Five Former Presidents Gather In Support Of Hurricane Relief, Donald Trump Praises Efforts
Disney ABC TV President Ben Sherwood Talks Industry "Imbalance Of Power," Shonda Rimes' Exit, State Of TV
Latest TV News
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders For Office? Press Secretary Says “Never Say Never”
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars’ Season 3 Reveals Cast Of Queens
- NY Times Responds To Bill O’Reilly Spokesman’s Claims That They “Maliciously Smeared” Ex-Fox News Host…
- Donald Trump Tells Maria Bartiromo: “I Was So Nice” During Condolence Call
- Fox Knew About Bill O’Reilly’s Big Sexual Harassment Settlement When They Renewed His Contract – Update
- Sophia Bush Explains ‘Chicago P.D.’ Exit: “Left Because I Wanted To”