Iran may pull an entry from the Venice Film Festival over oil sanctions imposed by the European Union, a government official said over the weekend. “We naturally are thinking over a plan to boycott the festival this year,” the Culture Ministry’s Supervision and Evaluation Office Director Alireza Sajjadpur said. The fest, which tells me it has not received any word from Tehran, includes just one film from the country: Kianoosh Ayari’s The Paternal House in the Horizons sidebar. It includes depictions of difficulties faced by Iranian women living in a patriarchal family, and Sajjadpur’s office had previously demanded that Ayari make cuts in order to obtain a screening visa. But The Tehran Times reports those cuts have not been made. That begs the question of whether the film could screen in Venice regardless since the government decides what can and cannot travel. Still, in 2011, Jafar Panahi’s This Is Not A Film made it to Cannes by being smuggled on a flash drive hidden inside a cake, while the director was under house arrest. The Venice Film Festival runs August 29-September 8.
Iran To Boycott Venice Film Festival?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Film News
- Charles Manson: Finally, Death Gets One Right
- Read Weinstein Bidder Maria Contreras-Sweet’s Pitch: $275 Million And Female-Centric Leadership
- ‘A Wrinkle In Time’ Trailer Includes New Fantastical Footage From Disney’s Ava DuVernay-Directed Adaptation
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Bows OK; 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Extend Robust Runs – Specialty Box Office
- Russell Simmons Accused Of Forcing Sex On Model While Brett Ratner Watched