Just 21% of adults say they have “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence in TV news, down from 27% last year — and the lowest percentage since Gallup started taking the poll in 1993 — the research firm says today. A whopping 46% of respondents gave a thumbs-up to TV news in 1993. It hovered in the mid-to-low 30% range until 2007, when it dropped to 23%. What’s striking about this year’s results, though, is that it’s the first time in years when conservatives hold TV news in slightly higher regard than do liberals and moderates. Just 19% of liberals said they have confidence in the medium, down from 30% last year, while moderates moved to 20% from 30%, and conservatives to 22% from 23%. Paradoxically, TV news won the highest scores from 18- to 29-year-olds (38% approval) and Democrats (37%), with the lowest scores coming from those 65 and older (18%) and Independents (20%). More than 1,000 people were questioned from June 7-10 for the annual poll measuring people’s confidence in 16 institutions. On Gallup’s list, people have the most confidence in the military (75%), small business (63%), and the police (56%). TV News ranked No. 11, right behind newspapers (25%). The bottom two were Congress (13%) and Health Maintenance Organizations (19%) while big business, banks, and organized labor were in a dead heat with TV news.
Public Confidence In TV News Hits All-Time Low: Gallup
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest TV News
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents…
- David Parfitt Accuses Harvey Weinstein Of Assaulting Him On ‘My Week With Marilyn’
- NBA All-Star Game Scores In Ratings For TNT & TBS
- Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed