Just 21% of adults say they have “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of confidence in TV news, down from 27% last year — and the lowest percentage since Gallup started taking the poll in 1993 — the research firm says today. A whopping 46% of respondents gave a thumbs-up to TV news in 1993. It hovered in the mid-to-low 30% range until 2007, when it dropped to 23%. What’s striking about this year’s results, though, is that it’s the first time in years when conservatives hold TV news in slightly higher regard than do liberals and moderates. Just 19% of liberals said they have confidence in the medium, down from 30% last year, while moderates moved to 20% from 30%, and conservatives to 22% from 23%. Paradoxically, TV news won the highest scores from 18- to 29-year-olds (38% approval) and Democrats (37%), with the lowest scores coming from those 65 and older (18%) and Independents (20%). More than 1,000 people were questioned from June 7-10 for the annual poll measuring people’s confidence in 16 institutions. On Gallup’s list, people have the most confidence in the military (75%), small business (63%), and the police (56%). TV News ranked No. 11, right behind newspapers (25%). The bottom two were Congress (13%) and Health Maintenance Organizations (19%) while big business, banks, and organized labor were in a dead heat with TV news.
Public Confidence In TV News Hits All-Time Low: Gallup
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'Black Panther' Still Boss At The B.O. Running Toward $600M+; 'Tomb Raider' At $22M-$24M - Midday Update
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Netflix Boards Coming-Of-Age Slasher Movie With 'Stranger Things' Outfit 21 Laps And James Wan's Atomic Monster
Latest TV News
- How Barbra Streisand Avoided #MeToo Moments In Her Career: ‘I Worked With Great Men’ – PaleyFest
- ‘Real Time’: Billy Bush Says Life Was “Chaos” After Trump Grabbing Scandal
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Trump’s Lawyer Sues Stormy Daniels For $20M In Advance Of ’60 Minutes’ Interview
- “What If Our Politicians Weren’t The Bitch Of NRA?” Parkland Student Asks In PSA
- NBC Wants ‘Tonight Show’ Discrimination Suit Moved To Arbitration, Or Dismissed