This is the 11th consecutive year that Sony Pictures has passed this milestone, an achievement matched by only one other studio (Warner Bros). This is the second fastest that the studio has ever hit $1 billion in domestic box office receipts. In 2002 it was on July 11th after 191 days versus 209 days this year. Helping reach the mark was The Amazing Spider-man rebooot, which has grossed $242M domestic, $412.7M international, and $654.8M worldwide to date. The studio launched six #1 films so far in 2012: The Amazing Spider-Man, The Vow, 21 Jump Street, Think Like A Man, Underworld 4: The Awakening, Men in Black 3. There are still a number of major titles that will be released through the remainder of the year, including the next James Bond adventure Skyfall, Total Recall (next weekend), Sparkle, Premium Rush, Looper, and the animated film Hotel Transylvania, among others.
Sony Pictures Hits $1B Domestic Grosses
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
'Deadpool 2' Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Infinity War' Tops $1.81B WW - International Box Office
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Tops $1.81B WW – International Box…
- 'First Reformed' Nabs Top Spot; 'Pope Francis' Mixed: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Swinging In As Second-Best Opening For R-Rated Pic With $125M
- ‘Pope Francis’ Docu Reaches Out As ‘On Chesil Beach’ Seeks Audience Intimacy – Specialty Box Office…
- ‘Ocean’s 8’ Looking Great On Tracking With Potential $45M Start
- Gloria Steinem Bio-Play By Emily Mann Headed For Off-Broadway Run