Sherman Hemsley, who starred in the iconic 1970s sitcom The Jeffersons, was found dead in his El Paso, TX home today, according to reports. He was 74. Hemsley was personally picked by All In The Family creator Norman Lear to play George Jefferson alongside Louise Jefferson (Isabel Sanford) as the newly arrived neighbors of Archie and Edith Bunker. Lear eventually spun off the characters in 1975 and created The Jeffersons, about a successful black family who lived in Manhattan. The show ran 10 years. Hemsley, who also starred on Broadway in the 1970s musical comedy Purlie, later starred on the sitcom Amen playing a church deacon.
R.I.P. Sherman Hemsley
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine's Show Only Because He Is Fan, "Plain And Simple"
Latest TV News
- Harry Connick Jr. Talk Show Renewed For Season 2
- ‘Fargo’ Season 3 Extended Trailer: “The Gloves Are Off Now” – You Betcha
- Pilot Season 2017: Network Ownership & In-Season Stacking Rights Cast Shadow
- ‘Big Little Lies’ Notches Another Series High As It Nears April 2 Finale
- Miles Teller To Star In Nicolas Winding Refn’s Amazon Series ‘Too Old To Die Young’
- WGA Members Still Paying For Last Strike