Ruben Fleischer has closed a pod deal with 20th Century Fox TV. The two-year pact will see the director-producer develop, direct and executive produce new comedy and drama projects for network and cable TV. As a part of the deal, the Gangster Squad helmer will launch a new production company to be based at Fox. “We were so taken with Zombieland, it has such an original tone. The mix of scary and funny—he’s just incredibly creative. He has the greatest skill set, and we know he has what it takes to create a hit television show,” 20th Century Fox TV chair Dana Walden told Deadline today. Fleischer, who made his feature directorial debut with 2009’s Zombieland and followed up with 2011’s 30 Minutes Or Less, is producing the indie Two Night Stand, which Mike Nichols’ son Max is attached to direct. Fleischer started out directing music video and commercials. He moved on to directing segments for ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! as well as episodes of Between Two Ferns With Zach Galifianakis and Funny Or Die videos plus creating and executive producing MTV’s Rob And Big and Fantasy Factory. The LA period drama Gangster Squad, starring Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling and Josh Brolin, comes out September 7. Fleischer is repped by UTA and attorney Warren Dern.
Ruben Fleischer Signs Pod Deal With 20th Century Fox TV
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Film News
- ‘Justice League’ Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $93M+ Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened
- Vice Forms All-Female Advisory In Wake Of Exec’s Conduct Suspension
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: WGA Nixes ‘Three Billboards’; Bleecker Puts Lumps Of Coal In Critics’ Stockings; ‘Get Out…
- ‘Get Out’s Jordan Peele Responds To Golden Globes Category
- Douglas Booth In Talks To Play Nikki Sixx In Motley Crue Biopic ‘The Dirt’