The stock dropped about 40% this morning following the digital entertainment company’s warning last night that revenues would come in far lower, and losses would be much higher, than investors envisioned for this year. The company is “misfiring on all cylinders,” Cowen and Co analyst Robert Stone says this morning as he downgraded Rovi to “neutral” and cut his revenue estimate for 2012 by 13.3% to $670M. Rovi makes most of its money by selling interactive TV software — including program guides and copy protection mechanisms — to consumer electronics and pay TV companies. But it said last night that it’s been hurt by delays in adding or renewing patent licenses, including for TV Everywhere initiatives. Rovi declined to sign deals because “some expected licensees would not agree to acceptable terms,” CEO Tom Carson said. He added that when deals are made — possibly next year — “we expect these deals will include catch-up payments.” The company also said it’s been hit by “softness in the global consumer electronics and interactive TV markets.” As a result, Rovi said it expects to report Q2 revenue of $158M, down 12% from the period last year. Losses per share from continuing operations also could triple to 18 cents.
Rovi Shares Plummet After It Projects Bigger Than Expected Losses In 2012
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Latest Film News
- James L. Brooks To Receive WGA West’s Laurel Award For Screenwriting
- Saudi Arabia: ‘The Emoji Movie’ & ‘Captain Underpants’ Are First Films To Screen
- Gigi Pritzker & Clint Kisker’s MWM Invests In Ben Proudfoot’s Breakwater Studios
- Deadline’s New Hollywood Podcast: ‘The Greatest Showman’ Breakout Keala Settle Finds Inspiration In Anthemic ‘This Is Me…
- HBO Documentary Films Acquires ‘The Price Of Everything’ Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- ‘On Her Shoulders’ Teaser: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People