Lupe Ontiveros, who starred in the films Selena and As Good As It Gets, has died. Her management agency says she passed away yesterday after battling liver cancer. She was 69. The iconic Mexican-American actress appeared on both the big and small screen over a career that spanned more than four decades. She is perhaps best known for her role as convicted murderer Yolanda Saldivar in the 1997 film Selena, which starred Jennifer Lopez as the famed Tejano-style singer. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2004 for guest actress in a comedy series for her role as Juanita Solis, the mother-in-law of Eva Longoria’s character Gabrielle on Desperate Housewives. Longoria tweeted this morning about Ontiveros’ passing, saying she was deeply saddened at the news. “She was more than a colleague to me, she was my family. My heart is with your family Lupe…”. Her other credits include The Goonies, Real Women Have Curves, Charlie’s Angels, and TV’s Hill Street Blues and Reba.
R.I.P. Lupe Ontiveros
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Brian Huskey Set For ABC's 'Selfie'; Rebecca Forsythe Joins 'Members Only'
- Step Right Up For 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Premiere Date
- Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina & Jon Bernthal Join HBO Miniseries 'Show Me A Hero'
- Deadline Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge; Nominates Katzenberg, Soderbergh And Lindelof: Video
- Tony Shalhoub Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Channing Tatum's Production Shingle Taps Nellie Stevens-Reed As Head Of TV