Lupe Ontiveros, who starred in the films Selena and As Good As It Gets, has died. Her management agency says she passed away yesterday after battling liver cancer. She was 69. The iconic Mexican-American actress appeared on both the big and small screen over a career that spanned more than four decades. She is perhaps best known for her role as convicted murderer Yolanda Saldivar in the 1997 film Selena, which starred Jennifer Lopez as the famed Tejano-style singer. She earned an Emmy nomination in 2004 for guest actress in a comedy series for her role as Juanita Solis, the mother-in-law of Eva Longoria’s character Gabrielle on Desperate Housewives. Longoria tweeted this morning about Ontiveros’ passing, saying she was deeply saddened at the news. “She was more than a colleague to me, she was my family. My heart is with your family Lupe…”. Her other credits include The Goonies, Real Women Have Curves, Charlie’s Angels, and TV’s Hill Street Blues and Reba.
R.I.P. Lupe Ontiveros
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Is Bollywood’s Eros International Preparing A Dealmaking Campaign?
- Joe Wright In Talks To Board ‘The Lifeboat’ With Anne Hathaway, Working Title & Focus Features
- Imax Shares Leap As It Announces Hong Kong IPO Plan
- Paramount, Mary Parent To Turn ‘Beyblade’ Into Live Action Feature
- ‘The End Of The Tour’ Trailer: Jason Segel As David Foster Wallace