It was the first time the streaming service has pumped out so much content in a month according to a post that CEO Reed Hastings made on his Facebook page. “Congrats to [Chief Content Officer] Ted Sarandos, and his amazing content licensing team,” Hastings wrote. He added: “When House of Cards and Arrested Development debut, we’ll blow these records away. Keep going, Ted, we need even more!” BTIG’s Richard Greenfield made some back-of-the-envelope calculations and figures that Hastings’ data means the average Netflix subscriber watched it 80 minutes a day — up from 64 minutes a day in the last three months of 2011. If true, he says, then “Netflix would have been the 7th most watched network inclusive of broadcast and cable networks (up from#15 in Q4 2011). It also would have been #2 among cable networks, slightly larger than ESPN and just below Disney Channel.” Hastings’ news, along with an upbeat report today from Citigroup’s Mark Mahaney, contributed to a 6.2% jump in Netflix shares to $72.04. That’s not bad. But here’s something worth remembering as we approach the anniversary of Netflix’s July 12 announcement of its plan to split the streaming and DVD rentals into separate businesses, with a 60% price hike for people who wanted to keep both services. A year ago the company shares traded for close to $300.
Netflix CEO Says Monthly Viewing Exceeded 1B Hours In June
What's Hot on Deadline
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Latest Film News
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce