“When you’re 17 years old and win your first gold medal, there’s nobody you’d rather share it with,” a promo for a Tuesday Today segment with swimming star Missy Franklin said on NBC Monday night. In yet another snafu that’s drawn criticism of NBC’s Olympics coverage, however, viewers on the East Coast wouldn’t see Franklin take the gold until the 100 meter backstroke final was aired seven minutes after the promo spoiled the surprise. Franklin had in fact taken the medal in London hours before the primetime broadcast, but the network has been drawing strong ratings so far during the Games, meaning a lot of viewers are tuning in with the expectation of at least some suspense. According to reports, NBC corrected the hiccup for the West Coast, airing promos for a profile of Ryan Lochte and the men’s gymnastics competition instead of the Franklin preview.
NBC 'Today' Promo On Missy Franklin Spoils Net's Coverage Of Swimming Win
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Berlin Sets Wim Wenders Homage; BBC Two Orders 'Stonemouth' & UK's First Transgender Series; More
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020