Mira Nair‘s The Reluctant Fundamentalist will open the 69th edition of the Venice International Film Festival in the movie’s world premiere. Riz Ahmed, Kate Hudson, Kiefer Sutherland, Liev Schreiber, Martin Donovan, Om Puri and Shabana Azmi star in the out-of-competition adaptation of the bestselling novel about a young Pakistani working on Wall Street when 9/11 shatters his bright future and plunges him into doubts about all he thought he know. Movie was adapted by William Wheeler from the 2007 novel by Mohsin Hamid. With a score featuring new music by Peter Gabriel, the movie shot in Lahore, Delhi, Istanbul, New York and Atlanta. Festival director Alberto Barbera said that Nair, who won Venice’s Golden Lion in 2001 for Monsoon Wedding, “has made an exemplary film adaptation of a novel that deals with the topical issue of fundamentalisms of any kind or nature.” Nair collaborator Lydia Dean Pilcher produced the Mirabai Films and Cine Mosaic production with backing by the Qatar-based Doha Film Institute. It will be Nair’s fifth movie at Venice but her first to open the fest. K5 International is handling international rights with Hal Sadoff for DFI and Bart Walker of Cinetic handling North American rights.
Mira Nair's 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' To Open Venice Film Festival
What's Hot on Deadline
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Running Out Of Gas With $15.6M Opening Day; CinemaScore Dips To B+ - Update
'Quantico': Priyanka Chopra Among 4 Cast Members Returning For Season 3, Michael Seitzman Set As New Showrunner
Latest Film News
- Ron Howard Talks Han Solo Movie & ‘Star Wars’ Universe – Cannes Lions
- Jay Roth Fete: The Reason You Can’t Get A Hollywood Mogul On The Phone Tonight
- Johnny Depp Jokes About Donald Trump: “When Was The Last Time An Actor Assassinated A President?”
- Peter Bart: Are Fabulous Female Directors Limited By Tired Dude Genres?
- L.A. Film Fest Award Winners: ‘Becks’, ‘The Keeping Hours’ Among Honorees – Complete List
- ‘Superior Donuts’ Star Jermaine Fowler Cast In ‘Sorry To Bother You’