Mira Nair‘s The Reluctant Fundamentalist will open the 69th edition of the Venice International Film Festival in the movie’s world premiere. Riz Ahmed, Kate Hudson, Kiefer Sutherland, Liev Schreiber, Martin Donovan, Om Puri and Shabana Azmi star in the out-of-competition adaptation of the bestselling novel about a young Pakistani working on Wall Street when 9/11 shatters his bright future and plunges him into doubts about all he thought he know. Movie was adapted by William Wheeler from the 2007 novel by Mohsin Hamid. With a score featuring new music by Peter Gabriel, the movie shot in Lahore, Delhi, Istanbul, New York and Atlanta. Festival director Alberto Barbera said that Nair, who won Venice’s Golden Lion in 2001 for Monsoon Wedding, “has made an exemplary film adaptation of a novel that deals with the topical issue of fundamentalisms of any kind or nature.” Nair collaborator Lydia Dean Pilcher produced the Mirabai Films and Cine Mosaic production with backing by the Qatar-based Doha Film Institute. It will be Nair’s fifth movie at Venice but her first to open the fest. K5 International is handling international rights with Hal Sadoff for DFI and Bart Walker of Cinetic handling North American rights.
Mira Nair's 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist' To Open Venice Film Festival
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
Latest Film News
- Jim Gianopulos Takes Reins Of Paramount As Chairman & CEO
- MGM & Annapurna Seal Multi-Year Movie Distribution Deal
- Fox Lands Pharrell Williams-Inspired Musical Movie Pitch
- Huayi Brothers CEO Eyes Expansion Of STX Entertainment Relationship
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty…