Microsoft’s $6.4B acquisition — its second biggest, behind Skype — didn’t turn out quite the way execs envisioned. The software giant hoped that aQuantive would provide a lot of muscle for its efforts to become an Internet ad sales power. It says today that although the acquisition “continues to provide tools for Microsoft’s online advertising efforts,” it “did not accelerate growth to the degree anticipated.” As a result it will take a $6.2B charge which it will attribute to its Online Services Division. The SEC requires companies to write down the value of an acquired asset as soon as it recognizes that it’s worth less than the company paid. Microsoft says that the hit shouldn’t affect its ongoing business. It notes that “Bing search share in the U.S. has been increasing, revenue per search (RPS) has been growing, MSN is the No. 1 portal in 29 markets worldwide and the company’s partnership with Yahoo! has continued to expand geographically.” Wall Street took the announcement in stride. Microsoft shares are down less than 1% in after-hours trading.
Microsoft Says It Will Take $6.2B Write Down For 2007 Purchase Of aQuantive
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Motion Pictures Sound Editors’ Golden Reel Awards: 'Hacksaw Ridge,' 'Westworld' Among Winners - Full List
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Film News
- Kim Dotcom Loses U.S. Extradition Appeal, But Claims Victory In Copyright Ruling
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- WGA Members Outline Top Issues In Looming Contract Negotiations – WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…