Is Michael Bay‘s production company Platinum Dunes trying to change its image away from high-cost, high-profile, high-volume pictures? If so, it’s a very smart strategy in these leaner-than-lean times at the studios. Paramount just picked up the banner’s techno-thriller The Rising, a pitch from TV writer Soo Hugh (AMC’s The Killing, The River, Zero Hour). “Michael Bay’s guys at Platinum Dunes brought this in. It was very inexpensive,” a Paramount exec tells me. Along with Bay, Platinum Dunes’ Andrew Form and Brad Fuller are producing. For instance, this year just as Bay and Paramount were dating Transformers 4 for June 2014, Bay was starting production on the bodybuilders crime spree Pain And Gain with Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. That $25M budget movie was part of his 2-picture deal with the studio. And all the talent deferred their compensation in return for big back ends.
Michael Bay Brings Another Low-Cost Action Film To Paramount
What's Hot on Deadline
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- ‘Dunkirk’ Flying To $51M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Driving To $29M+; ‘Valerian’ Still A Disaster…
- ‘The Gift’: Patrick Stewart, Katie Holmes & Giancarlo Esposito Wrapping In Montreal
- ‘Shot Caller’ Review: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Plays A Game Of Survival In Gripping…
- Blumhouse & Todd McFarlane Team For ‘Spawn’ Movie – Comic-Con
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- Nicole Ari Parker To Star In Indie Comedy ‘Headshop’