Wall Street seems to be largely unimpressed by last night’s announcement that former Google exec Marissa Mayer signed on to be Yahoo‘s fifth CEO in five years. The Internet company’s shares beat a quick retreat following a +1.3% open the morning. They’re now down more than 1% as investors await Yahoo’s Q2 earnings report after the market closes this afternoon. Several analysts say they’re taking a wait-and-see view of Mayer. Her background as an engineer “will give her credibility among Yahoo!’s staff and help her to focus the company’s efforts on creating new and innovative products,” says Barclays Equity Research’s Anthony DiClemente. But she has no experience running ad-based media content operations, which remain Yahoo’s “greatest assets for driving traffic.” And, unlike Google, “Yahoo! is a turn-around story,” says Bernstein Research’s Carlos Kirjner. “It is certainly not a rocket ship. Some will contend it is a sinking ship. It remains to be seen whether she can be an effective leader of a turn-around.” Mayer has a lot on her mind: She told Fortune magazine last night that she’s pregnant, with a boy due in early October. “My maternity leave will be a few weeks long and I’ll work throughout it,” she said.
Marissa Mayer Faces Skeptics On Day One As Yahoo's CEO
What's Hot on Deadline
'Show Dogs' Getting Re-Cut By Global Road In Response To Concerns Over Inappropriate Sex Abuse Message
Jason Bateman Apologizes To Jessica Walter Over 'Arrested Development' Interview Comments: "I Was Wrong Here"
'Outlander's Sam Heughan Joins Vin Diesel In Sony's 'Bloodshot'; Eiza Gonzalez, Michael Sheen Also Aboard
ABC Answers Michael Jackson Estate's Claim That Network Didn't Secure Rights For Special On Late Singer - Update
Latest Film News
- Vancouver’s Public Transportation Service “Pauses” Relationship With Morgan Freeman Following Allegations
- Blumhouse Acquiring ‘Intruders,’ Tommy Wirkola’s Next Thriller
- Morgan Freeman On Accusations: “I Apologize To Anyone Who Felt Uncomfortable Or Disrespected”
- ‘Shooting In Vain’ Trailer: Indie Drama About The Needle And The Damage Done
- Morgan Freeman Accused Of Inappropriate Behavior By Multiple Women
- ‘American Jail’: CNN Films & Roger Ross Williams Team For Docu On Mass-Incarceration Crisis