BREAKING … The Abraham Lincoln movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis as Honest Abe will get an exclusive release November 9, 2012, and expand wide November 16, Disney just announced. That puts it squarely in the midst of Oscar season. The Steven Spielberg-directed Lincoln is a DreamWorks production; Fox and Participant Media are partners in the film and Fox will handle international distribution. It had previously not had a release date, but now will make for some pretty extreme counterprogramming with another anticipated pic: Summit’s The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 also opens wide November 16. Four years in the making, Lincoln is from a screenplay by Tony Kushner based on the bestselling book Team Of Rivals by Doris Kerns Goodwin. It revolves around the Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition and the end of the Civil War. Sally Field, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tommy Lee Jones and James Spader co-star.
Disney Dates Steven Spielberg's 'Lincoln' Into Awards-Season Fray
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa