Investors weren’t feeling especially friendly toward the social network company after its first quarterly earnings report and analyst call last night. The stock closed Friday at $23.70, down 11.7% — the lowest it’s been since it went public in May at an IPO price of $38. The stock touched $22.28 during the day, the lowest it has ever been. Friday also was the third most active trading day for Facebook, with 168.2M shares changing hands. The sell off is notable because analysts for the most part took Facebook’s Q2 results in stride. RBC Capital Markets’ Andre Sequin says that he was “pleasantly surprised by the presence and significant involvement of CEO Mark Zuckerberg on the call. The company did not offer specific forward guidance, which investors had hoped for, but instead stuck to qualitatively highlighting nascent projects.” Needham & Co’s Laura Martin urged investors to see a drop in the stock price as a buying opportunity. Cowen & Co’s Kevin Kopelman was a little more cautious saying that although “ad growth was better than we expected in the quarter, we remain concerned about the company’s ability to replace desktop ad and social game revenues with mobile revenues near-term, especially given the lack of clarity on Q3 trends.” Yesterday the company reported a Q2 net loss of $157M vs a $240M profit last year on revenues of $1.2B, +32.3%. The loss is largely attributable to accounting for stock based compensation; without that the earnings would be $295M, +3.5%.
Facebook Shares Hit New Low Following 11.7% Drop
What's Hot on Deadline
'Westworld' Finale Postmortem: EP Jonathan Nolan On Season 2's Samurai World, Missing Characters & Dr. Ford's Fate
Shake-Up At 'Duck Dynasty' Producer Gurney Productions: Founders Placed On "Temporary Leave Of Absence"
'Fantastic Beasts' Bests $600M WW; 'Moana' Mints $180M; 'Doctor Strange' Ices 'Deadpool', 'Iron Man 2' - Intl Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Bests $600M WW; ‘Moana’ Mints $180M; ‘Doctor Strange’ Ices ‘Deadpool’, ‘Iron Man 2’ – Intl…
- Jimmy Kimmel On Oscar Hosting: Taiwan President Called To Offer Congratulations
- Note To Oscar Host Jimmy Kimmel: Johnny Carson’s Suit Patterns Are Up For Sale
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Trailer: Watch Optimus Prime Do Some Heavy Duty Transforming
- Pharrell Williams On ‘Hidden Figures’ Hidden NASA History – The Contenders Video
- Jimmy Kimmel To Host The Oscars