Questions about Club Penguin’s impact on kids age 6 and up have haunted the online virtual world playground since it was launched in 2005, and bought by Disney in 2007. So it will be interesting to see how anti-consumerism activists respond to Disney’s most ambitious effort yet to use Club Penguin as a cross-promotion tool. The service will introduce tomorrow “Make Your Mark: Ultimate Jam,” an online music and dance party with tie-ins to other Disney-owned services. Disney Records will for the first time introduce a single and music video on Club Penguin — it’s for the song “The Party Starts Now,” which fans can buy in English, French, German, or Spanish at iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon. Disney Channel and Disney’s YouTube Channel will promote the video. Also, until the end of the month, Club Penguin will feature guest appearances from Rocky and CeCe, stars of the Disney Channel sitcom Shake It Up. This is the first time Disney Channel personalities will interact with Club Penguin members in that online environment. Kids 8 and up who have a parent’s consent can upload a 45-second video of themselves dancing to be considered for an on-air dance competition.
Does Disney's Club Penguin Initiative Promote Innocent Fun, Or Consumerism?
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Middle' Co-Creator On The "Bittersweet" Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
'The Middle' Series Finale: ABC's Fond Farewell To America's Beloved TV Family Is One "Heck Of A Ride"
'Disenchantment' Teases First Look At Fantastical Characters In Matt Groening's Very Adult Netflix Animated Series
Latest TV News
- ‘SEAL Team’: John Glenn Joins CBS Series As New Showrunner, Two EPs Depart
- ‘The Middle’ Co-Creator On The “Bittersweet” Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
- ‘The Middle’ Series Finale: ABC’s Fond Farewell To America’s Beloved TV Family Is One “Heck Of A Ride”…
- Parents of Slain Teen Trayvon Martin Say The Weinstein Co. Owes Them $150,000
- ‘Roseanne’ Finale: EP Bruce Helford On One Topic They Didn’t Get To Tackle, Season 2 Themes & Who May Be…
- ‘Rectify’ Star Aden Young Inks With ICM Partners