Questions about Club Penguin’s impact on kids age 6 and up have haunted the online virtual world playground since it was launched in 2005, and bought by Disney in 2007. So it will be interesting to see how anti-consumerism activists respond to Disney’s most ambitious effort yet to use Club Penguin as a cross-promotion tool. The service will introduce tomorrow “Make Your Mark: Ultimate Jam,” an online music and dance party with tie-ins to other Disney-owned services. Disney Records will for the first time introduce a single and music video on Club Penguin — it’s for the song “The Party Starts Now,” which fans can buy in English, French, German, or Spanish at iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon. Disney Channel and Disney’s YouTube Channel will promote the video. Also, until the end of the month, Club Penguin will feature guest appearances from Rocky and CeCe, stars of the Disney Channel sitcom Shake It Up. This is the first time Disney Channel personalities will interact with Club Penguin members in that online environment. Kids 8 and up who have a parent’s consent can upload a 45-second video of themselves dancing to be considered for an on-air dance competition.
Does Disney's Club Penguin Initiative Promote Innocent Fun, Or Consumerism?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Hitman's Bodyguard' Shooting Toward $19M-$20M; 'Logan Lucky' Not So Fortunate With $7M-$8M - Midday Update
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
Latest TV News
- ‘Mr. Robot’ Season 3 Clip: Rami Malek’s Elliot Interrupted At Hacker Tournament
- ‘Real Time’: Former Celeb Apprentice Hopeful Penn Jillette Slams Donald Trump
- Steve Bannon On Exit: “I've Got My Hands Back On My Weapons”
- FX Acquires ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, ‘Logan’, ‘Girls Trip’, ‘Despicable Me 3’, ‘War For The Planet of the Apes’…
- ‘Westworld’s Thandie Newton On HBO’s Series Strengths, Season 2 & Freedom — Emmys
- Kim Kardashian To Co-Host ‘Live With Kelly And Ryan’ This Month