Show of hands: Who thinks it’s a coincidence that DirecTV made this addition to its children’s offerings the same week that its 20M customers lost Viacom’s 17 channels including Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, and Nicktoons? Of course the satellite company doesn’t actually make that connection in today’s announcement: That would have been insulting to Disney. And who knows? Maybe DirecTV would have made the addition anyway. Still, its hard to avoid seeing this in the context of the spat with Viacom. The release notes that Disney Junior, which targets kids age 2-7, is “one of the most sought after channels by DirecTV customers and will be permanently added to their programming options as a basic channel.” This is the first year that Disney Junior is operating as a 24/7 channel; it launched last year as Disney Channel’s daytime programming block. “When it comes to children and families, nobody has the tremendous programming to compare with Disney,” DirecTV EVP Derek Chang says. “DirecTV is happy to place our trust in Disney as a partner in building this exciting new family service.” Beginning tomorrow, Disney Junior will appear on channel 289, right next to Disney Channel.
A Challenge To Viacom? DirecTV Adds Disney Junior To Programming Lineup
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill Cosby Says Reports Of Sexual Assault Town Hall Tour Is "False," Despite Fact His PR Team Said It Was On - Update
Latest TV News
- ‘My Dinner With Hervé’: David Strathairn Cast In HBO Movie
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders Bites Press To Distract Them From New Trumpcare Blow
- BET Awards Ratings Fall From 2016, Both On Channel & Across Viacom Networks
- SAG-AFTRA Contract Talks Continue Despite Strike Threat
- Ed Asner Retracts And Apologizes For Allegations Against SAG-AFTRA Leaders
- Is The Premium Video Business Harder To Attack Than Digital Giants Imagined?