As expected, Danny Boyle’s Olympics Opening Ceremony was a big ratings hit for the BBC last night, handily outperforming any other Games curtain-raiser in recent memory. The program captured an average 22.4M viewers and an 82.5% audience share. The average rating is the highest for the channel since 1998. Athens’ 2004 Opening Ceremony scored an average audience of 8.7M for a 41% share in primetime while the lauded Beijing opener in 2008 had a 51% share, but only 5.1M average viewers given it aired in the middle of the UK day. Last night’s opener began at 9pm local time and peaked for 5 minutes at 9:45pm with 26.9M tuning in to see Boyle’s Isles Of Wonder which featured a parachuting Queen, flying Mary Poppinses, a Mr Bean/Chariots Of Fire montage and a performance by Paul McCartney. The BBC’s most recent comparable 5-minute peak was 23.2M viewers during the England v Italy Euro 2012 match in June. Online viewing was 1M+, the BBC said.
Danny Boyle Scores 14-Year BBC Ratings High With London Olympics Opener
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Latest TV News
- USC Scripter Awards Nominations: Ties Make For Loaded Flim & TV Field
- ‘Bear Grylls: Face The Wild’ & ‘Fly Guys’ Unscripted Series Ordered By Facebook
- ‘Pinkalicious & Peterrific’ Toon Based On Book Series Coming To PBS Kids – TCA
- Saudi Arabia Fund Eyeing Endeavor Stake; May Invest $500M+ In WME Parent
- Latino Digital Media Company Raze Sets Series Deals With Netflix, Hulu, & TNT
- Facebook Orders Drama Series ‘Sacred Lies’ From Blumhouse & ‘True Blood’ Duo