The stock price is down about 15% after hours for the company behind the Redbox kiosks. It reported net earnings of $36.9M, +37.9% vs last year’s Q2, on revenues of $532.2M, +22.3%. So what’s the problem? Analysts thought that revenues would be closer to $545M. And earnings from continuing operations, at $1.11 a share, were short of the $1.17 forecasts. Redbox accounted for $458M in revenues, +25.9%, with operating income of $61.4M, +31.6%. Redbox had 180M rentals in the quarter, +7.4%. Interestingly, the company says that Disney’s John Carter — one of the studio’s biggest disappointments — “has performed better than our expectations”. But Coinstar notes that there’ll be 27 video releases in Q3, eight fewer than in the period last year. But August will include Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games. The company expects Redbox to generate about $2B in revenues for all of 2012. Coinstar CEO Paul Davis says that Redbox “began its expansion into Canada, extended its lead in physical rentals achieving more than 42% unit market share, and closed the NCR transaction” which provides it with the company’s Blockbuster Express-branded kiosks. Earlier this week the company said that it has named its planned streaming service Redbox Instant By Verizon. Coinstar had a one-time gain of $12M in Q1 from licensing the Redbox name to the joint venture. Its share of the losses from the venture this year is expected to be $18M.
Coinstar Shares Hammered After Q2 Earnings Fall Short Of Expectations
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill O'Reilly To Matt Lauer On His Firing From Fox News & Sexual Harassment Claims: "This Was A Hit Job"
Tucker Carlson Blasts Emmys; Calls It A "Remarkable Triumph Of Identity Politics Over Art & Entertainment"
Latest Film News
- ‘Fall In Love’: Will This Virtual Reality Program Make You Fall In Love?
- Oscars: France Enters Robin Campillo’s ‘BPM’ In Foreign Language Race
- CAA Signs TIFF Rising Star Jessie Buckley; Primary Wave Signs ‘Human Traces’ Vinnie Bennett
- David Tennant & Elisabeth Moss’ ‘Mad To Be Normal’ Headed To Samuel Goldwyn Films
- ‘Star Wars’ Will Receive Promotional Help From Tie-Ins With Six Major Brands
- ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’ Review: Suave British Spies Are Back & The Wacko Formula Still Works For Fans