The stock price is down about 15% after hours for the company behind the Redbox kiosks. It reported net earnings of $36.9M, +37.9% vs last year’s Q2, on revenues of $532.2M, +22.3%. So what’s the problem? Analysts thought that revenues would be closer to $545M. And earnings from continuing operations, at $1.11 a share, were short of the $1.17 forecasts. Redbox accounted for $458M in revenues, +25.9%, with operating income of $61.4M, +31.6%. Redbox had 180M rentals in the quarter, +7.4%. Interestingly, the company says that Disney’s John Carter — one of the studio’s biggest disappointments — “has performed better than our expectations”. But Coinstar notes that there’ll be 27 video releases in Q3, eight fewer than in the period last year. But August will include Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games. The company expects Redbox to generate about $2B in revenues for all of 2012. Coinstar CEO Paul Davis says that Redbox “began its expansion into Canada, extended its lead in physical rentals achieving more than 42% unit market share, and closed the NCR transaction” which provides it with the company’s Blockbuster Express-branded kiosks. Earlier this week the company said that it has named its planned streaming service Redbox Instant By Verizon. Coinstar had a one-time gain of $12M in Q1 from licensing the Redbox name to the joint venture. Its share of the losses from the venture this year is expected to be $18M.
Coinstar Shares Hammered After Q2 Earnings Fall Short Of Expectations
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
About 1 Million Watch Chelsea Handler Say So Long To E! As Gwen Stefani Nearly Fumbles Another TV Appearance: Video
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content