Oscar-winning actress Celeste Holm died at her home in New York City, according to reports citing her niece. The star of stage and screen was 95. She, was hospitalized a week ago suffering from dehydration caused by a fire in Robert De Niro’s apartment in her building, but her husband took her home to Manhattan. Holm won an Oscar for best supporting actress in Elia Kazan’s 1947 movie about anti-Semitism Gentleman’s Agreement which starred Gregory Peck. She later was also nominated in the category for All About Eve and Come To The Stable. Holm was born and raised in New York City and began acting in school plays. She studied acting in college and eventually embraced it as a career. Her first major Broadway role came in a 1940 revival of The Time of Your Life, co-starring fellow newcomer Gene Kelly. Holmes then starred in Rodgers & Hammersteien’s Broadway blockbuster Oklahoma! before her movie career took off in the late 1940s. Other movies included The Tender Trap with Frank Sinatra, High Society with Bing Crosby and The Snake Pit with Oliva de Havilland. In TV, she was nominated for Emmys for Insight and Backstairs at the White House. Holm also appeared in several TV shows during the 1970s and ’80s including Fantasy Island, Falcon Crest and Archie Bunker’s Place. She also appeared in Third Watch, Touched By An Angel and Promised Land. Holm was married five times. On her 87th birthday she wed opera singer Frank Basile who now survives her. She is also survived by two sons and three grandchildren.
R.I.P. Celeste Holm
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Gets More Love Thursday Night Than Emma Watson-Tom Hanks Thriller 'The Circle' - Box Office
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
Latest Film News
- How ‘Real Rocky’ Chuck Wepner Survived Ring Beatings And 14 Year Biopic Ordeal
- ‘A Star Is Born’ Adds Rafi Gavron & Michael Harney
- Mister Smith Boards Dionne Warwick Doc ‘Don’t Make Me Over’ — Cannes
- Director Jim Sheridan’s Next: ‘H-Block’ Coming Together With Cillian Murphy, Jamie Dornan, Pierce Brosnan
- Rami Malek On The Run In 'Buster's Mal Heart'; Noomi Rapace Kidnapped In 'Rupture' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Set To Honor ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise