If true, it puts Carl Icahn on the Hollywood sidelines after selling stakes in Blockbuster before it went into bankruptcy and most recently Lionsgate, in which he sold his 33% stake after he tried and failed to merge it with MGM. The latest move makes sense for MGM, which last week filed a draft IPO statement and hired JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs to manage the offering. It suggests that MGM has come a long way from when it emerged from bankruptcy in 2010. An insider tells Deadline about the Icahn move, which separates MGM from what Bloomberg says is its largest shareholder: “It shows that MGM is very serious about their IPO. A public offering is hard to do when Icahn is in your stock, because he keeps investors sitting on the sidelines.” According to a confidential letter obtained by the LA Times, MGM is paying Icahn $33.50 for each of his 17.6 million shares, so his approximate 25% stake sells back to MGM for $590 million – though the paper did not know if that made him a profit. MGM could be ramping up for its IPO by year’s end as two of its major film properties hit the big screen: the James Bond pic Skyfall on November 9 and the first installment of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit on December 14.
Does Carl Icahn Selling MGM Stake Clear Way For IPO?
What's Hot on Deadline
'A Quiet Place' Still Noisy With $21M+; 'I Feel Pretty' $18M; 'Super Troopers 2' Arrests $16M - Saturday Update
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
'Jane the Virgin' Finale': Series Creator On That Shocking Twist, 'Dallas'-Inspired Cliffhanger, Season 5 & Show's Endgame
'Love, Gilda' Director On Meeting Gene Wilder & Why Some Gilda Radner 'SNL' Peers Aren't In The Doc - Tribeca
Nyle DiMarco Went From 'America's Next Top Model' To Broadway Producer: How 'Children Of A Lesser God' Paved The Way
Latest Film News
- Katherine Waterston & Michael Shannon Wade Through Grief And Alienation In ‘State Like Sleep’ — Tribeca…
- ‘Ready Player One’ Tops $500M Global Box Office, Scores $200M+ In China
- Mechanic’s Resignation Letter Sets The Agenda For An Academy Board Election That Starts Monday
- Christina Hendricks & Alysia Reiner Foster Dialogue On Motherhood With ‘Egg’
- Alex Pettyfer Discusses His Transition To Directing With ‘Back Roads’ — Tribeca Studio
- ‘A Quiet Place’ Still Noisy With $21M+; ‘I Feel Pretty’ $18M; ‘Super Troopers 2’ Arrests $16M – Saturday…