Gaumont International TV said last month that it planned to turn the iconic Barbarella character into a series, much the same way it did in producing Hannibal that has been picked up by NBC and Hemlock Grove which is at Netflix. Now fellow European-based studio Canal Plus has joined in on the TV project, which is being executive produced by Martha De Laurentiis and Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive), who also is directing. The character made famous by Jane Fonda in the 1968 sci-fi movie produced by Dino De Laurentiis came from Jean-Claude Forest’s graphic novel about a sexpot tasked with finding and stopping the evil weapons inventor. Forest’s son Julien Forest and Hollywood Comics principal Jean-Marc Lofficier are co-exec producing the TV project.
Canal Plus Comes Aboard 'Barbarella' TV Series
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' To Discuss Link Between NFL Head Injuries, Domestic Violence: Video
- Ellen DeGeneres Clocks Biggest Opening Week Yet For Her Daytime Talk Show
- J.J. Abrams To Receive VES Society's Visionary Award
- Elisabeth Moss Joins Cast Of 'Truth', Pic Based On Rathergate Scandal
- Broad Green Finds 'Eden', Music Box Jams With 'Mekons'
- Riley Keough To Topline Steven Soderbergh's 'The Girlfriend Experience' On Starz