Gaumont International TV said last month that it planned to turn the iconic Barbarella character into a series, much the same way it did in producing Hannibal that has been picked up by NBC and Hemlock Grove which is at Netflix. Now fellow European-based studio Canal Plus has joined in on the TV project, which is being executive produced by Martha De Laurentiis and Nicolas Winding Refn (Drive), who also is directing. The character made famous by Jane Fonda in the 1968 sci-fi movie produced by Dino De Laurentiis came from Jean-Claude Forest’s graphic novel about a sexpot tasked with finding and stopping the evil weapons inventor. Forest’s son Julien Forest and Hollywood Comics principal Jean-Marc Lofficier are co-exec producing the TV project.
Canal Plus Comes Aboard 'Barbarella' TV Series
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $219M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise - Update
Harvey Weinstein Again Denies Blackballing Actresses: Says He Wanted Ashley Judd For 'Good Will Hunting'
Latest International News
- Rupert Murdoch Feels Heat About His Fox News Sexual Misconduct Claims
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Awakens To Early $61M Overseas; $106M WW – International Box Office
- Chinese Film & TV Industry Is A $86.3B Business — Chinese Report
- Anant Singh To Produce Biopic Of Heart Transplant Pioneer Christiaan Barnard
- Egypt-Based Aroma Studios & United Brothers Eye U.S. Market With Thriller Films Team-Up, Set First Project
- The Murdochs Would Become Disney’s Largest Individual Shareholders When Merger Clears