Investors don’t always demand that companies favor short term results over business-building investments. Just look at what’s happening at Amazon. This evening the company reported Q2 results that would chill most execs. Net income came in at $7M, down 96% from the period last year, on revenues of $12.8B, +29%. The revenue figure missed analysts forecasts for $12.9B. And earnings at a penny a share were below expectations for two pennies. It’s not a blip. Amazon says it expects operating losses in Q3 of as much as $350M vs an operating profit last year of $79M. What did that do to Amazon’s stock? It’s up about 1% after hours. The reason seems to be that investors believe in CEO Jeff Bezos’ story — including that his spending now on additional fulfillment centers, the Kindle Fire tablets and content for Amazon’s streaming services will enable it to become a major force in media as well as retailing. Instead of commenting on his financials, Bezos’ statement on the company earnings report hawked his Amazon Prime $79 a year membership program. He says it’s “the best bargain in the history of shopping – that is not hyperbole.” (Of course it is, but let’s not quibble.) In addition to providing two-day, free shipping for many Amazon items, it offers members opportunities to stream 18,000 movies and TV episodes, and a Kindle lending library with 170,000 titles. Amazon shares are +27% so far in 2012, but just 2.7% over the last 12 months.
Amazon's Investments Depress Q2 Profits, But Not Its Stock
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
China Makes Space For ‘The Martian’ As ‘Good Dinosaur’ Snatches Eggs From No. 1 ‘Mockingjay 2’ – Intl B.O. Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Latest Film News
- China Makes Space For 'The Martian' As 'Good Dinosaur' Snatches Eggs From No. 1 'Mockingjay 2' – Intl B.O. Update
- 'The Danish Girl' Bows With Style; ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Solid In Debut; ‘Carol' Dominates Thanksgiving…
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance