Bankers are sniffing around for a deal that could provide CBS with anywhere from $4B to $6B according to reports in the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg. The company is positioning itself in the catbird seat. It has signaled that it’s willing to listen to offers, but isn’t proactively soliciting them. “There’s definitely a lot of interest in Outdoor,” CFO Joseph Ianniello said last week at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Telecom & Media Conference. “I will always look to maximize value, whether it’s through operations or through an M&A transaction. We’re very excited about the business, so we’re going to continue to operate it. If something comes along that makes some sense, we’ll let everybody know.” The usual suspects among potential buyers include Clear Channel Outdoor, JCDecaux, and private equity groups. But Clear Channel is deeply in debt, and a deal with JCDecaux could run afoul of European antitrust regulators. Investors shouldn’t count the cash yet, Wells Fargo analyst Marci Ryvicker warns: “We don’t believe a sale is imminent” she says, dismissing the buzz as mere “speculation.” In Q1 CBS’ outdoor ad unit had an operating loss of $2M, an improvement from the $12M loss a year ago, on revenues of $416M, up 7.3%. Ianniello says that ad growth for Outdoor is rising at a low single digit rate and should accelerate later this year as we approach the elections.
Will CBS Sell Its Billboard Business?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $59M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
BAFTA Awards: 'Three Billboards' Wins Best Film, Tops Night With Five Nods - The Complete Winners List
'Celebrity Big Brother': Omarosa Talks Campaigning For Hillary Clinton, Says She Would Have Been "Exceptional"
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Taunts Oprah At End Of Manic Weekend Of Tweets And TV News Watching
- John Oliver Joins Parkland Students “Calling Bullsh*t” On “Too Soon To Talk About” Gun Laws Blather
- ‘Celebrity Big Brother’: Omarosa Talks Campaigning For Hillary Clinton, Says She Would Have Been “Exceptional”…
- Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
- Olympics Ratings Fall To 2018 Low On 2nd Saturday; Steady With Sochi 2014
- LeBron James Speaks Out On “Shut Up And Dribble” Comments