EXCLUSIVE: I’m hearing that Warner Bros is pumping the brakes on The Thin Man, the remake that Johnny Depp plans to star in for director Rob Marshall. The film hadn’t been green lit yet, and they hadn’t got to the point where they set an actress to play Nora to Depp’s Nick. But I’ve heard that Marshall will likely move on and direct Into The Woods as his next film at Disney. Marshall has also been working on that film for some time. A budget for The Thin Man was just submitted, and I’m told there isn’t a big rush here because Depp wants to take some time between films. But Warner Bros can’t have been too happy with the performance of Dark Shadows, another quirky remake of a period piece with Depp. The studio hasn’t been shy about pulling back on films like Arthur & Lancelot and Akira over budget and redeveloping them for cost. Word is that this budget came in north of $100 million, and that it was a factor. The original plan was to start production in late November, but that will change as Marshall eyes Into the Woods next and The Thin Man after. WB tells me the film wasn’t green lit and the studio denies there is any drama going on.
Warner Bros Pumping The Brakes On 'The Thin Man' Remake?
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
Latest Film News
- Hilary Zaitz Michael Named WME Lit Packaging Agent
- ‘Brad’s Status’ Trailer: Mike White & Ben Stiller Plumb The Depths Of Dads
- Protagonist Pictures Ups Dave Bishop To CEO After Mike Goodridge Exit
- Toronto Film Festival 2017 Unveils Strong Slate
- Danny Huston, Rosemarie Dewitt & More Join Johnny Depp In ‘Richard Says Goodbye’
- Venice Days Lineup Includes Works From Chloe Sevigny, Kim Nguyen & China’s Pengfei