Jean-Bernard Levy joined Vivendi in 2002 and became chief executive in 2005. Since then, he’s run a conglomerate that owns the world’s biggest music company in Universal Music Group, European TV giant Canal Plus, and 61% of video game publisher Activision Blizzard. Via UMG, Vivendi is also in the process of acquiring EMI’s recorded music division for $1.9B. Last year, Levy oversaw the selloff of Vivendi’s 20% stake in NBCUniversal. There have been calls for Levy to address low valuation at the Paris-based media giant, according to Bloomberg, with its stock price down 18% this year and its bond rating in peril. It’s also understood that increasing disagreements over strategy are behind his expected departure. Levy has not been keen to spin-off or sell assets while supervisory board president, Jean-René Fourtou, has recently pondered whether the group’s activities should be split into two or three parts, French business daily La Tribune notes. And, in a hangover from Vivendi’s Jean-Marie Messier days, a New York jury earlier this week awarded Liberty Media more than $956M, finding that Vivendi Universal had misled John Malone’s company about the value of Vivendi shares in 2002 when it bought Liberty’s stake in USA Networks. Vivendi is expected to make a formal announcement on Levy later today.
Vivendi CEO Jean-Bernard Levy Expected To Exit After A Decade With Company
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Disney Swingin' As 'The Jungle Book' Beats $700M Global; 'Captain America: Civil War' Rises To $224.3M Offshore
Latest Film News
- Kevin Dillon & DeRon Horton Planted As Leads In ‘Dirt’
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Target In ‘Why We’re Killing Gunther’
- ‘Diary Of An Oxygen Thief’ Sells To S&S Imprint Gallery After Gotham Group Buys Screen Rights
- FilmRise Grabs Global Rights to SXSW Thriller ‘My Father Die’; Kino Lorber’s Sol Y Luna Acquires ‘Lucha Mexico…
- ‘A Bigger Splash’ Review: Sex, Seduction, Rock ‘N’ Roll & Naked Stars – Do We Have…
- Dascha Polanco Lands Female Lead In ‘iCreep’; Ingjerd Egeberg Joins ‘Downsizing’