Tribeca Film bought U.S. rights to War Witch, a film shot in the Congo that won Best Actress for its star Rachel Mwanza at the Tribeca Film Festival, and the same award at Berlin. The Kim Nguyen-directed film tells the story of a young girl who’s kidnapped by African rebels at age 12, is forced at gunpoint to murder her parents and fight as a child soldier. An ability to see ghosts that warn her of approaching enemies, she is called War Witch by the leader of the rebels, but her challenge is to escape her fate and resolve her brutality of her past. A multi-platform release is planned for 2013.
Tribeca Film Acquires 'War Witch'
Trending Now on Deadline
Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: CNN & Fox News Reporters Attacked On-Air; Networks Go Live To Obama Remarks Over No Indictment - Update
More From Fleming Jr
- James Cameron On 'Avatar' Sequels: 'You Will Sh*t Yourself With Your Mouth Wide Open'
- Fox Green Light Starts 'Independence Day' Sequel Countdown
- Sony Hacker Paralysis Reaches Day Two – Update
- Leslie Zemeckis Sells Book On Burlesque Siren Lili St. Cyr
- Weinstein Collars Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani For 'Paddington' Tune
- Wonderland Buys Insurgent Scribe Brian Duffield's 'The Babysitter' Spec In Auction