Tribeca Film bought U.S. rights to War Witch, a film shot in the Congo that won Best Actress for its star Rachel Mwanza at the Tribeca Film Festival, and the same award at Berlin. The Kim Nguyen-directed film tells the story of a young girl who’s kidnapped by African rebels at age 12, is forced at gunpoint to murder her parents and fight as a child soldier. An ability to see ghosts that warn her of approaching enemies, she is called War Witch by the leader of the rebels, but her challenge is to escape her fate and resolve her brutality of her past. A multi-platform release is planned for 2013.
Tribeca Film Acquires 'War Witch'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- ‘Suburbicon’ Production Designer On Cobbling Together Idyllic ’50s Suburb Out Of Disparate SoCal Locations
- ‘Coco’ Earns A+ CinemaScore & Dances To $70M+; ‘Justice League’ Solid With $63M+: Thanksgiving B.O.
- Jane Campion: It’s A “Fairy Tale” Time For Women In The Entertainment Business
- Allison Williams Says ‘Peter Pan’ Performance Scored Her ‘Get Out’ Role
- IMAX & Odeon Team Up To Launch Europe’s First Virtual Reality Experience
- ‘Tulip Fever’ Producer Alison Owen Lifts The Lid On Working With Weinstein