EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
Netflix Lands 'Outlaw King'; David Mackenzie Directs Chris Pine As Robert The Bruce In Scottish Epic
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Estonian Folk Tale ‘November’ Acquired By Oscilloscope – Tribeca
- ‘Aardvark’ Producer/Star Zachary Quinto On Film’s “Valiant” Exploration Of Mental Illness…
- Black Label, Sony Pictures Firm Team-up On ‘Granite Mountain’ & ‘Soldado’
- Chill On Rumors Of Netflix Side Deal As WGA Strike Authorization Looms
- ‘Love After Love’ Star Andie MacDowell: “I've Been Waiting For Something Like This For Such A Long Time”…
- Ed Helms Comedy ‘The Clapper’ Dives Into The World Of Professional Applauding – Tribeca Studio