EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Sable Ranch, Popular Film & TV Location, Destroyed By Wildfire; Disney's Golden Oak Ranch "OK", LAFD Says - Update
DNC Gavels In Calmly As Talk Swirls Of Bernie Sanders' Name Being Put In Nomination; Ohio Rep. Named Convention Chair
Sly Stallone Confirmed, Star Lord's Parents' Sex Life Discussed In Hilarious 'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Trailer - Comic-Con
Cristina Ferrare Out, Replaced By Debbie Matenopoulos As Co-Host Of Hallmark Channel's 'Home & Family'
Latest Film News
- Hollywood Has Collected More Than $860M In Foreign Levies
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Launches To $59M; ‘Lights Out’ Electrifies; ‘Ice Age’ Tepid; ‘Ghostbusters’ No Cinderella Story – Box…
- ‘Soul On Bikes’ About African-American Biker Gang Picked Up For Film Adaptation
- Eddie Redmayne Joins Morten Tyldum In Black Bear’s ‘The Last Days Of Night’
- Jackie Chan-Starring ‘Skiptrace’ Bows Big In China With $62M+ Debut
- Brad Turell Exiting Paradigm To Launch Media Consulting Startup