EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
Tom Rothman Takes A Shot At Netflix As He Reveals The "New Sony"; Plus 'Spider-Man' Interview - CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Paramount CinemaCon Presentation Kicks Off With Dwayne Johnson & Dancing Bathing Suit-Clad Beach Peeps
- Covert Media & Broken Road Buy ‘Kansas’ Pitch From Rick Talarico
- No. 7 ‘Sing’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament
- ‘Ferdinand’ Trailer: John Cena Is Bullish On Fox Toon Based On Classic Kids Book
- Christine Kaufmann Dies: Golden Globe-Winning Actress Was 72
- ‘A Ghost Story’ Trailer: Casey Affleck Haunts Rooney Mara In Indie Drama