EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Lochte Teammate James Feigen Apologizes, Details Rio Gas Station Gaffe & Brazilian Authorities' Big Fine Demands
Oscars: Saudi Arabia Enters 'Barakah Meets Barakah' In Foreign Language Race; Kingdom's Second Submission Ever
Latest Film News
- ‘Manchester By The Sea’ Trailer: First Look At Kenneth Lonergan’s Family Drama Starring Casey Affleck
- Colin Ford, Ellie Bamber, Timothy Simons Lead ‘Extracurricular Activities’
- Nate Parker Won’t Face Public Press Grilling As ‘Birth Of A Nation’ Screens At Toronto
- Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds & Errol Morris Highlight New York Film Festival Documentary Lineup
- Joe Swanberg’s Forager Films Wades Into Distribution With ‘Little Sister’
- ‘Euphoria’ Rounds Out Cast With Charles Dance, Adrian Lester & Mark Stanley