EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
Ellen Pompeo On New 'Grey's Anatomy' Deal, The Show's End Game & Legacy And Her Post-'Grey's' Future - Q&A
Sundance Names Jada Pinkett Smith, Octavia Spencer & Chaz Ebert To Jury; Jason Mantzoukas To Host Awards Show
Ellen Pompeo Inks New 2-Year Deal For 'Grey's Anatomy', Paving Way For Seasons 15 & 16, Adds Producing Duties
Latest Film News
- Bart & Fleming: What Leo Plays In Tarantino Film; Why Gender Argument On Wahlberg/Williams Was Wrong
- Lionsgate Ripe For Takeover As Amazon, Verizon and CBS-Viacom Emerge As Potential Suitors
- MarVista Entertainment Buys Lea Thompson’s Helming Debut; CFI Releasing Acquires ‘Life And Nothing More’
- Brad Carlson Moves From Paramount To Skydance Media Overseeing Physical Production For Features
- XLrator Media Acquires Two Pics For Lifeframe Label; Comedy Dynamics Picks A Pair
- ‘Jumanji’ Drumbeat Rises To $700M+ At Worldwide Box Office