EXCLUSIVE: First they made the movie and now Steven Soderbergh and Channing Tatum are taking Magic Mike to the stage. The film’s director and star are producing a musical adaptation of their male stripper movie. Distributed by Warner Bros, Magic Mike opens Friday. The plan at this point is to have Magic Mike: The Musical on stage and Broadway bound by the summer of 2013. WME’s theatre head John Buzzetti is currently putting together the package. Soderbergh and Tatum will produce with partners Gregory Jacobs, Nick Wechsler and Reid Carolin. Carolin, who wrote the screenplay for the Magic Mike movie and is Tatum’s partner in Iron Horse Entertainment, will write the book for the musical. Magic Mike is partially based on the now-32-year old Tatum’s experiences as a stripper in Tampa, Fla, when he was 19. The movie stars Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, Olivia Munn and Alex Pettyfer. Carolin is repped by UTA and Management 360. Soderbergh is repped by Anonymous Content. Tatum is repped by UTA and Management 360.
Steven Soderbergh & Channing Tatum Making 'Magic Mike: The Musical'
What's Hot on Deadline
Skirball Fire: Officials Determine Cause Of Bel-Air Blaze; Thomas Fire Still Unchecked; Apple Donates $1M - Update
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Latest Film News
- Pat DiNizio Dies: Smithereens Songwriter-Guitarist And Soundtrack Artist Was 62
- ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Review: About As Much Fun As You Could Have At The Movies
- ‘Call Me By Your Name’ Team On Creating Intimacy On Screen For Story Of First Love – The Contenders Video
- Jennifer Lawrence To Star In ‘Burial Rites’ With ‘Call Me By Your Name’ Helmer Luca Guadagnino Directing
- LAPD Opens New Roman Polanski Probe About Alleged 1975 Assault Of 10-Year-Old
- Richard Linklater On Why It Took 10 Years To Get His ‘Last Flag Flying’ To The Screen – The Contenders Video