Sony Pictures has announced that after hitting $398.8 million last night, MIB 3 is poised to move beyond $400 million in worldwide revenue today. That will surely put the film on course to eclipse the $441 million worldwide that Men In Black II turned in back in 2002. It was a much better movie than the first sequel, but hasn’t been hailed as a home run because skeptics wonder whether it will ever be in the black financially. MIBII was shot on a reported $140 million budget, while MIB3 carried a reported $225 million budget, with a lot of gross out the door. Certainly, the hiatus taken by the picture to fix the script added to those costs. The original grossed $589 million worldwide in 1997 on a reported budget of $90 million. Even with the benefit of extra revenue for 3D tickets, the movie will need a few more strong weeks around the world to eclipse that total.
Sony's 'MIB 3' Passes $400 Million Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Deadpool’ Smacking Christian Grey’s February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
- Paramount Dates A Trio Of ‘Transformers’ Sequels; Collides With ‘Wonder Woman’, ‘Godzilla 2…
- Samantha Bee Vs. The Guys On Late Night, Plus: The Coming Tony Awards Wars? – Gerard & Roth
- Michael Moore Sidelined As ‘Where To Invade Next’ Opens – Specialty Preview
- ‘Deadpool’ Very Much Alive In $12M Overseas Open; $80M Intl Weekend Ahead?
- Scott Rudin & Aaron Sorkin Will Bring ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ To Broadway