Sony Pictures has announced that after hitting $398.8 million last night, MIB 3 is poised to move beyond $400 million in worldwide revenue today. That will surely put the film on course to eclipse the $441 million worldwide that Men In Black II turned in back in 2002. It was a much better movie than the first sequel, but hasn’t been hailed as a home run because skeptics wonder whether it will ever be in the black financially. MIBII was shot on a reported $140 million budget, while MIB3 carried a reported $225 million budget, with a lot of gross out the door. Certainly, the hiatus taken by the picture to fix the script added to those costs. The original grossed $589 million worldwide in 1997 on a reported budget of $90 million. Even with the benefit of extra revenue for 3D tickets, the movie will need a few more strong weeks around the world to eclipse that total.
Sony's 'MIB 3' Passes $400 Million Worldwide
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Says Yes To No. 1, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, 'St. Vincent,' 'Birdman' Expansion Results - B.O. Weekend
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Lego Movie' Sequel Gets Phil Lord, Chris Miller Script Commitment
- Hot Red Band Trailer: 'Nightcrawler'
- Warner Bros To Remake 'Who Am I'; Pic Is German Box Office Sensation
- Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor Joining DC Comics Pic 'Suicide Squad'?
- 'Act Of Killing' Helmer Joshua Oppenheimer Signs With UTA
- Sebastian Stan Joins 'The Martian' And 'Ricki And The Flash'