Sony Pictures has announced that after hitting $398.8 million last night, MIB 3 is poised to move beyond $400 million in worldwide revenue today. That will surely put the film on course to eclipse the $441 million worldwide that Men In Black II turned in back in 2002. It was a much better movie than the first sequel, but hasn’t been hailed as a home run because skeptics wonder whether it will ever be in the black financially. MIBII was shot on a reported $140 million budget, while MIB3 carried a reported $225 million budget, with a lot of gross out the door. Certainly, the hiatus taken by the picture to fix the script added to those costs. The original grossed $589 million worldwide in 1997 on a reported budget of $90 million. Even with the benefit of extra revenue for 3D tickets, the movie will need a few more strong weeks around the world to eclipse that total.
Sony's 'MIB 3' Passes $400 Million Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Matt Groening Netflix Animated Comedy A Go With 20-Episode Order, Abbi Jacobson, Nat Faxon & Eric Andre Lead Voice Cast
David Letterman Talks The Changing Late-Night Landscape, His Talk Show Return On 'Norm Macdonald Live'
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Valerian’ And The City Of A Thousand Misconceptions: Who’s On The Hook?
- Blair Brown Joins Beau Willimon’s ‘Parisian Woman’ On Broadway; Bedlam Revives ‘Peter Pan’
- Broadway Box Office: Brendon Urie Kicks ‘Kinky Boots’ To $1.4M; Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ Up $207K
- Universal Hits $4B In Global Box Office For Second Time In Its History
- How Warner Bros Beat The Period-Film Curse At The B.O. & Positioned ‘Dunkirk’ As A Summer Tentpole
- 'Landline' Dials In With Top Number; 'The Beguiled' Crosses $10M – Specialty Box Office