Sony Pictures has announced that after hitting $398.8 million last night, MIB 3 is poised to move beyond $400 million in worldwide revenue today. That will surely put the film on course to eclipse the $441 million worldwide that Men In Black II turned in back in 2002. It was a much better movie than the first sequel, but hasn’t been hailed as a home run because skeptics wonder whether it will ever be in the black financially. MIBII was shot on a reported $140 million budget, while MIB3 carried a reported $225 million budget, with a lot of gross out the door. Certainly, the hiatus taken by the picture to fix the script added to those costs. The original grossed $589 million worldwide in 1997 on a reported budget of $90 million. Even with the benefit of extra revenue for 3D tickets, the movie will need a few more strong weeks around the world to eclipse that total.
Sony's 'MIB 3' Passes $400 Million Worldwide
What's Hot on Deadline
Alicia Vikander Launches Vikarious Productions; Sets First Project 'Euphoria' With Eva Green- Cannes
Latest Box Office News
- Harvey Weinstein Gives ‘Finding Neverland’ The Hook, Sets August Broadway Closing
- New York Drama Critics’ Circle Votes ‘The Humans’ Best Play, ‘Shuffle Along’ Best Musical
- ‘Vaxxed’s Cinema Libre Teams With China’s Gaia To Expand U.S. Release, Head To Asia
- Matthew Perry’s West End Playwriting Debut Draws Crowds Despite Critics’ Barbs
- ‘Angry Birds’ Get Happy With Day-And-Date China Bow
- ‘Warcraft’ Sets China Release Two Days Ahead Of U.S.: A Burgeoning Trend?