The 3D technology company says this morning that it will install its systems at 100 screens operated by SMI Corporation’s Stellar International Cineplex. “This agreement adds to RealD’s growing traction in the Chinese exhibition market where we recently announced four new exhibitors, giving RealD a total commitment of 2,000 RealD 3D-equipped screens in China,” says RealD’s Edman Chan. Last month RealD announced a similar deal with HNA Group to equip up to 500 screens across HNA’s new theater circuit. Stellar has 250 auditoriums at 40 locations in 20 provinces and cities. Exhibition technology companies are eager to capitalize on the fast-growing demand for movies in China — especially since February when the government agreed to relax trade barriers on U.S. productions. RealD competitor IMAX has also been moving aggressively into the market.
RealD To Have 2,000 Screens In China Following Deal With Stellar International
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content