President Barack Obama will not be coming to LA on Friday for his Gen44 fundraiser after all. Instead of coming to town, Obama will be sending surrogates to the June 29 evening event at Soho House. Harper Reed, campaign Chief Technology Officer, Mitch Stewart, the Battleground States director and David Simas, director of Opinion Research, will be standing in for the President. From the event’s announcement on June 20th, Obama’s actual presence at the fundraiser was always ambiguous until today. However, a plethora of Young Hollywood and not-so-Young Hollywood, from chair Jared Leto to Olivia Wilde, director David Fincher, musician Peter Frampton, Dirty Dancing’s Jennifer Grey, Connie Britton, DJ Steve Aoki, Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki, The Game author Neil Strauss and Maggie Q, among others, will still be there. A source close to the event told Deadline there may be a video from the President played for the paying guests. Tickets for Friday’s reception are $500 each for attendees and $2,500 each for Host Committee members like Leto and Britton. That’s a far cry from the $40,000 an individual price for Obama’s record-breaking $15 million May 10 dinner at George Clooney’s house. It’s not close in price either to the June 7 $40,000 a couple event the President attended at Glee creator Ryan Murphy’s Beverly Hills home or the $40,000 a person dinner Sarah Jessica Parker and Vogue editor Anna Wintour hosted for the President and the First Lady in NYC on June 14. The President isn’t coming to LA, which on a Friday might be a traffic blessing, but he is out on the campaign trail this week – with a possible Hollywood connection. As Deadline reported, Obama is hoping to swing by the set of the Jackie Robinson biopic 42 being shot in Atlanta when he is in the Southern city tomorrow for a series of fundraisers. Deadline has been told it is now unlikely the President will meet with the movie’s stars Harrison Ford and Chadwick Boseman, but that it is still possible.
Obama Not Attending Friday's Young Hollywood Fundraiser
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Holdovers Reign Over Presidents’ Day Weekend, But Why Did The New Releases Tank?
- ‘Fifty Shades’ Dominant With $277M WW; ‘La La’ Lands $200M+ Overseas; ‘XXX’ Tops In China – International…
- CAS Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Among Winners – Full List
- Shia LaBeouf, Luke Turner & Nastja Säde Rönkkö's Anti-Trump Project Goes West
- [PHOTOS] 2017 Oscar Nominees Part 1: Casey Affleck, Denzel Washington, Pharrell Williams, Damien Chazelle & More
- ‘Song to Song’ Trailer: Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara & Michael Fassbender Get Caught Up In A Love Triangle