Netflix, Instagram and Pinterest services in the Northeast were interrupted last night when Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud in Northern Virginia went offline because of severe thunderstorms, Forbes reports. Amazon EC2 servers handle web traffic for numerous companies in addition to those mentioned. Service was disrupted at around 11:21 PM Eastern time according to Amazon: “We are investigating connectivity issues for a number of instances in the US-EAST-1 Region.” Affected users aired complaints on Twitter and Facebook. Storms that caused the outages also knocked out power in broad swaths from Indiana to New Jersey, according to the Washington Post. Netflix appeared to be back online as of 1:15 am Eastern time. Mashable reports that Pinterest, Instagram (whose pending purchase by Facebook awaits regulatory approval) and Heroku were still down this morning in some areas. Amazon reported most services had been restored before dawn Eastern time. Last night’s outage follows a 6 1/2-hour outage on Amazon’s EC2 two weeks ago. Forbes pointed out that one of the selling points of “cloud computing” is that there are redundancies to prevent just such occurrences.
Netflix, Other Web-Based Services Interrupted By Storms In East
What's Hot on Deadline
Peter Bart: Donald Trump's Nightmare, Stormy Daniels Has A Secret Side As Prolific Film Director With Skills
Bankruptcy Reveals Wild List Of Who The Weinstein Company Owes Money To: Malia Obama, David Bowie, Michael Bay
'I Can Only Imagine' Review: Faith-Based Music Biopic Of MercyMe's Smash Song Hits All The Right Notes
Latest Film News
- As The Weinstein World Turns, Industry Asks: Who Is Lantern Asset Management?
- Busy Sundance Producer Rachel Song Launches China Production Company
- No. 8 ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ Box Office Profits – 2017 Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament
- Bankruptcy Court Approves Weinstein Co.’s Plans To Keep Lights On, Employees Paid
- ‘Isle Of Dogs’ Review: Wes Anderson’s Weirdly Wonderful Canine Epic Is A Toon Worth Telling
- Behind The MGM Shakeup Shocker! What Happened To Instigate MGM Chairman/CEO Gary Barber’s Ouster?