Netflix, Instagram and Pinterest services in the Northeast were interrupted last night when Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud in Northern Virginia went offline because of severe thunderstorms, Forbes reports. Amazon EC2 servers handle web traffic for numerous companies in addition to those mentioned. Service was disrupted at around 11:21 PM Eastern time according to Amazon: “We are investigating connectivity issues for a number of instances in the US-EAST-1 Region.” Affected users aired complaints on Twitter and Facebook. Storms that caused the outages also knocked out power in broad swaths from Indiana to New Jersey, according to the Washington Post. Netflix appeared to be back online as of 1:15 am Eastern time. Mashable reports that Pinterest, Instagram (whose pending purchase by Facebook awaits regulatory approval) and Heroku were still down this morning in some areas. Amazon reported most services had been restored before dawn Eastern time. Last night’s outage follows a 6 1/2-hour outage on Amazon’s EC2 two weeks ago. Forbes pointed out that one of the selling points of “cloud computing” is that there are redundancies to prevent just such occurrences.
Netflix, Other Web-Based Services Interrupted By Storms In East
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Latest Film News
- NBCU Intl Acquires ‘The Outpost’ For Syfy; IQiyi Advancing On IPO – Global Briefs
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl