Speculation that a major central bank will help to stimulate the global economy contributed to a roughly 2% gain in the market in mid-afternoon trading, pushing stocks back into positive territory for 2012. The Dow Jones U.S. Media Index is up 1.6% and the SNL Kagan Media and Entertainment Index is +1.9%. News Corp, up 3.5%, is enjoying the biggest jump among Big Media companies. It’s followed by Sony (+2.7%), Comcast (+2.1%), Viacom (+1.9%), Time Warner (+1.8%), CBS (+1.6%), and Disney (+1.1%). Elsewhere in media, LIN TV, Coinstar, and Entercom are up more than 6%, while Lionsgate and McClatchy are up at least 4%. Even Facebook is enjoying a rare bounce: It’s up 4.5%, but still off 29% from its IPO price last month. The day’s few decliners include Barnes & Noble (-1.4%), Cinedigm (-1.3%), and Sinclair (-1.0%).
Media Stocks Join Wall Street Rally On Optimism About Economic Relief
What's Hot on Deadline
Family-Branded Films On Fire At The B.O.: 'Beauty And The Beast' Embraces $89M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
Latest Film News
- Jazz Doc 'I Called Him Morgan' Hits Solid Note; 'Wilson' Walks Slow – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Sing’ Gives Voice To $600M At Worldwide Box Office
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire At The B.O.: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Embraces $89M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty…
- Dan Aykroyd, Griffin Dunne Remember Carrie & Debbie, “Beloved Showboats”
- Watch Public Memorial For Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher Livestreamed Here – Update