Magic Johnson’s Atlanta-based Aspire cable network launched today. Johnson announced in mid-May that former GMC TV exec Paul Butler would be general managerof the new African American-focused network planned for launch this month. Johnson is a majority owner of Aspire, in partnership with Atlanta-based GMC. Johnson says the name of the network is meant to reflect the tone of the programming. Aspire was created under an agreement Comcast made with the Federal Communications Commission to secure the agency’s approval of the cable giant’s majority purchase of NBC Universal.
Magic Johnson's Aspire Network Launches
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Rookie Comedies 'Selfie' & 'A To Z' Hit Hulu Ahead Of Network Premieres (Video)
- Turner CEO Says Plans For More “Streamlined, Nimble” Company Coming In Next Two Months
- Scott Adsit Joins AMC Pilot 'We Hate Paul Revere'; Sibylla Deen & Kylie Bunbury in Spike TV's 'Tut'
- Eva Longoria Joins Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Universal & Legendary Date 'Krampus,' 'Spectral'; Open Road Shifts 'Nightcrawler'
- Good Deed Entertainment Taps Myrl Schreibman As President Of Production