Magic Johnson’s Atlanta-based Aspire cable network launched today. Johnson announced in mid-May that former GMC TV exec Paul Butler would be general managerof the new African American-focused network planned for launch this month. Johnson is a majority owner of Aspire, in partnership with Atlanta-based GMC. Johnson says the name of the network is meant to reflect the tone of the programming. Aspire was created under an agreement Comcast made with the Federal Communications Commission to secure the agency’s approval of the cable giant’s majority purchase of NBC Universal.
Magic Johnson's Aspire Network Launches
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Oscar De La Renta Dies: Fashion Icon Was 82 – Update
- Lucas Hedges & Penn Badgley Join 'The Slap' Miniseries On NBC; 'Full Circle' Sets Cast
- 'Gold Rush' 5th Season Debut Hits Ratings Motherlode For Discovery
- OSCARS: Eight Documentary Shorts On 2014 Shortlist
- Roger Howarth Joins 'The Flash'; Ryan Hurst In 'Bates Motel'
- Disney Animation Unveils 'Moana' From 'Little Mermaid' Filmmakers For November 2016