Magic Johnson’s Atlanta-based Aspire cable network launched today. Johnson announced in mid-May that former GMC TV exec Paul Butler would be general managerof the new African American-focused network planned for launch this month. Johnson is a majority owner of Aspire, in partnership with Atlanta-based GMC. Johnson says the name of the network is meant to reflect the tone of the programming. Aspire was created under an agreement Comcast made with the Federal Communications Commission to secure the agency’s approval of the cable giant’s majority purchase of NBC Universal.
Magic Johnson's Aspire Network Launches
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Team
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'
- A+E Networks Outbids Time Warner For 10% Vice Media Stake
- HBO Miniseries 'Olive Kitteridge' Sets November Premiere Dates
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Is “Resting Comfortably”, Says Daughter Melissa