Magic Johnson’s Atlanta-based Aspire cable network launched today. Johnson announced in mid-May that former GMC TV exec Paul Butler would be general managerof the new African American-focused network planned for launch this month. Johnson is a majority owner of Aspire, in partnership with Atlanta-based GMC. Johnson says the name of the network is meant to reflect the tone of the programming. Aspire was created under an agreement Comcast made with the Federal Communications Commission to secure the agency’s approval of the cable giant’s majority purchase of NBC Universal.
Magic Johnson's Aspire Network Launches
Trending Now on Deadline
NBC Cameraman Declared Ebola-Free; Tries To Rescue Nancy Snyderman From Self-Inflicted Career Disaster -- UPDATE
More From Team
- Karen Pittman Joins 'The Americans'; Gloria Reuben In 'Mr. Robot'
- 'Below Deck' Renewed For Third Season By Bravo
- 'Shark Tank' Spinoff 'Beyond The Tank' Ordered At ABC
- 'Cold Justice' Spinoff Greenlit By TNT
- Hollywood Film Awards Sets 18 Categories
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Bags Bully Ratings For PBS