Luis Guzman has been cast as the lead in Aztec Warrior. Scott Sanders will direct the action comedy from Pantelion Films. Guzman, who starred in Boogie Nights and DreamWorks upcoming Turbo, will begin filming next month in New Orleans. He plays the Warrior in the Lucha Libre-inspired pic who goes up against his rival El Diablo, to be played by Mexican comedian Eugenio Derbez. Terry Crews, Nadine Velazquez and Desperate Housewives’ Lupe Ontiveros co-star. Sanders, who directed 2010’s blaxploitation homage Black Dynamite, co-wrote the script with Don Handfield; its based on a story by Handfield and Javier Chapa. Lionsgate and Grupo Televisa are co-financing. Chapa and Handfield are producing with Pantelion’s Benjamin Odell. Pantelion’s James McNamara and Paul Presburger and Grupo Televisa’s Fernando Perez Gavilan are executive producing with Sergio Aguero, Todd Williams and Guzman. Sanders is repped by WME and 3Arts Entertainment. Guzman is repped by Gersh.
Luis Guzman Suits Up for Scott Sanders' 'Aztec Warrior'
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Film News
- Netflix Seeks French Compromise For Cannes Films 'Okja' And 'The Meyerowitz Stories'
- Protagonist Pictures Boards Directors’ Fortnight Title ‘The Rider’ — Cannes
- Paul Verhoeven Sets Next: ‘Blessed Virgin’ To Star ‘Elle’s Virginie Efira As Lesbian Nun
- ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ To World Premiere In Shanghai
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 5 – Milo Ventimiglia, Cobie Smulders, Justin Long, Martin Landau & More
- Jeff Goldblum Books Trip To ‘Jurassic World’ Sequel