A New York jury awarded Liberty Media more than $956M, finding that Vivendi Universal misled John Malone’s company about the value of Vivendi shares in 2002 when it bought Liberty’s stake in USA Networks. Liberty will seek pre-judgement interest on the sum that the jury awarded with its verdict finding Vivendi guilty of breach of contract and fraud. Vivendi says that it “believes that there are many grounds for appeal and continues to believe strongly that it did nothing wrong and will continue to vigorously defend itself in any subsequent appellant proceedings.” But Liberty says that it is “confident” that the U.S. District Court jury’s decision “will stand.” Liberty charged that former Vivendi CEO Jean-Marie Messier hid his company’s growing debt and limited cash before it made the $10.3B transaction to buy USA, then controlled by Barry Diller. Liberty received 37.6M Vivendi shares in return for its minority stake. Vivendi dumped Messier a few months after the deal closed as the extent of its financial problems became apparent. Law firm Baker Botts represented Liberty while Weil Gotshal & Manges and Cravath Swaine & Moore defended Vivendi.
Liberty Media Beats Vivendi In Long-Standing Dispute Over USA Networks Sale
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
'Deadpool 2' Sets Fox Record With $176M Overseas Bow; 'Avengers: Infinity War' Tops $1.81B WW - International Box Office
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Latest TV News
- LeBron James-Led Rout By Cleveland Draws ESPN’s Second-Best NBA Eastern Conference Finals Game 3 Rating Ever
- Billboard Music Awards Reveals Non-Televised Award Winners
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Ratings Tick Up In Season Finale With Host Tina Fey
- ‘SNL’ Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs’ Questions, Yes-Ands In ‘Chicago Improv…
- Royal Wedding Ratings: 18M Watch Prince Harry & Meghan Markle’s Big Day In The UK
- ‘SNL’: Donald Trump Gets ‘The Sopranos’ Treatment In Season Finale Cold Open