A New York jury awarded Liberty Media more than $956M, finding that Vivendi Universal misled John Malone’s company about the value of Vivendi shares in 2002 when it bought Liberty’s stake in USA Networks. Liberty will seek pre-judgement interest on the sum that the jury awarded with its verdict finding Vivendi guilty of breach of contract and fraud. Vivendi says that it “believes that there are many grounds for appeal and continues to believe strongly that it did nothing wrong and will continue to vigorously defend itself in any subsequent appellant proceedings.” But Liberty says that it is “confident” that the U.S. District Court jury’s decision “will stand.” Liberty charged that former Vivendi CEO Jean-Marie Messier hid his company’s growing debt and limited cash before it made the $10.3B transaction to buy USA, then controlled by Barry Diller. Liberty received 37.6M Vivendi shares in return for its minority stake. Vivendi dumped Messier a few months after the deal closed as the extent of its financial problems became apparent. Law firm Baker Botts represented Liberty while Weil Gotshal & Manges and Cravath Swaine & Moore defended Vivendi.
Liberty Media Beats Vivendi In Long-Standing Dispute Over USA Networks Sale
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Imagine Dragons Frontman Dan Reynolds Takes On Mormon Church Policy With HBO Doc 'Believer' — Sundance Studio
Latest TV News
- Michael Wolff To Trevor Noah On Donald Trump: “Yeah, He’s Stupid”
- ITN Productions Eyes U.S. Expansion, Preps California ‘House Of Horrors’, Meghan Markle And Trump Docs
- Fox-Sky Deal: UK Authority Says “Not In The Public Interest”; Hints Disney Could Help
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Genie Francis, ‘General Hospital’s Laura, Bumped Down To Recurring Status On ABC Soap
- ‘History Of Them’: Lisa Vidal, Felix Solis & Amit Shah Join Cast As Multi-Cultural Comedy Gets Formal Pilot Order…