The report released today from nonprofit FilmLA shows that 152 broadcast and cable pilots were produced during the 2011-2012 development cycle, the second most productive year ever. Of those, 92 were filmed in the LA area, the second-biggest total in history after the 101 filmed here in 2004-2005. (Last year, 87 pilots were filmed in LA.) The biggest boost as usual came from comedy pilots (91% of all sitcoms were shot locally). But dramas continue their decline: Only 29% of filmed drama productions shot in LA, compared with 63% in 2006-2007 and 38% in 2008-2009. FilmLA cites competing incentives as a main reason for the exodus: 53 one-hour drama projects were shot this cycle outside LA in Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee, as well as in Canada and Australia. “Some form of production incentive was available in every one of the non-California locations used during the ’11/’12 development cycle”, the report said. (Read it here.) FilmLA estimates that $262 million was spent on TV pilot production in LA in 2011-2012, with costs breaking down to about $2 million to shoot a comedy and $5.5 million for a drama.
LA Pilot Production Nears Record High For 2012 Despite Drama Exodus: FilmLA
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
Latest TV News
- Amy Sherman-Palladino Tells Women Stage Directors ‘Broadway Is Heaven’ – But Some Demur
- Genie Francis, ‘General Hospital’s Laura, Bumped Down To Recurring Status On ABC Soap
- ‘History Of Them’: Lisa Vidal, Felix Solis & Amit Shah Join Cast As Multi-Cultural Comedy Gets Formal Pilot Order…
- CBS Orders Drama Pilot ‘Murder’, Comedy ‘I Mom So Hard’ From Warner Bros. TV
- ‘The Alienist’ Review: Nothing Alienating About TNT’s Deft 19th Century Drama
- NBC Orders ‘The Enemy Within’ Drama Pilot From Ken Woodruff & Vernon Sanders