The report released today from nonprofit FilmLA shows that 152 broadcast and cable pilots were produced during the 2011-2012 development cycle, the second most productive year ever. Of those, 92 were filmed in the LA area, the second-biggest total in history after the 101 filmed here in 2004-2005. (Last year, 87 pilots were filmed in LA.) The biggest boost as usual came from comedy pilots (91% of all sitcoms were shot locally). But dramas continue their decline: Only 29% of filmed drama productions shot in LA, compared with 63% in 2006-2007 and 38% in 2008-2009. FilmLA cites competing incentives as a main reason for the exodus: 53 one-hour drama projects were shot this cycle outside LA in Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Tennessee, as well as in Canada and Australia. “Some form of production incentive was available in every one of the non-California locations used during the ’11/’12 development cycle”, the report said. (Read it here.) FilmLA estimates that $262 million was spent on TV pilot production in LA in 2011-2012, with costs breaking down to about $2 million to shoot a comedy and $5.5 million for a drama.
LA Pilot Production Nears Record High For 2012 Despite Drama Exodus: FilmLA
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Skirball Fire: Officials Determine Cause Of Bel-Air Blaze; Thomas Fire Still Unchecked; Apple Donates $1M - Update
Latest TV News
- Fox Developing Soap From ‘No Good Deed’ Writer & Chernin Entertainment
- ‘Lady In The Mask’ Psychological Thriller Drama From Amblin TV Set At the CW
- Shelter PR Launches Film & TV Division With Hire Of Former Paramount Exec
- ‘Saturday Night Live’: Colin Jost & Michael Che Named Co-Head Writers Of NBC Show
- Donald Trump Looks Like A Real Winner If Disney & Fox Deal Gets Done
- TV Academy Reclassifies Variety Special Emmy Categories; Splits Some Costume, Directing & Sound Editing Fields