How much would you pay to receive HBO without having to first shell out about $50 a month for basic cable or satellite service? The range for most fans seems to be $10 to $20 a month — with a lot of people settling on $12 — according to a web site, Take My Money, HBO, introduced last night to highlight consumer interest in receiving HBO outside the pay TV ecosystem. “We pirate Game of Thrones, we use our friend’s HBOGO login to watch True Blood…Please HBO, offer a standalone HBOGO streaming service and Take My Money!,” says the site created by web designer Jake Caputo. Visitors can type in how much they’d be willing to pay, and the site feeds it to Twitter in an effort to “let HBO know we want it and we will pay.” HBO doesn’t want to talk about the effort. Instead it tweeted: “Love the love for HBO. Keep it up.” But it indicated that it won’t change its business model by linking to a TechCrunch article that says “there’s no way that HBO could make up in online volume the number of subscribers it would lose from cable.” The story “has it right,” according to the HBO tweet. Wells Fargo Securities analyst Marci Ryvicker reached a similar conclusion in January when she initiatied coverage of Time Warner. A direct-to-consumer HBO GO “would spur both cord shaving and cord cutting, hurting not just (Time Warner’s) portfolio of cable networks, but rather, the entire pay-TV ecosystem in the United States,” she said.
HBO Says No Go To “Take My Money, HBO”
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content