A milestone announcement today for HBO’s streaming platform. The new HBO GO app, available at the Amazon Appstore for Android, should significantly expand the number of HBO subscribers who’ll be able to use a mobile device to watch the premium channel’s 1,400 titles including original series such as The Sopranos, Sex And The City, and True Blood. It also suggests that it won’t be long before HBO GO will be ready for other Android tablets. Most cable systems make the service available on the iPad, iPhone, Android phones, Roku, Samsung smart TVs, and the XBox 360. “Kindle Fire owners already download and use apps and games frequently on their devices, and we expect that only to increase with the addition of HBO GO and all of its popular content.” says Aaron Rubenson, Director of the Amazon Appstore. Amazon boasts that the Kindle Fire is its most successful product launch. But the company has disclosed little hard sales data. Meanwhile Amazon’s recovering from a slap this week by ABI Research. The firm says that the Kindle Fire slipped to third place in Q1 tablet shipments. Apple’s iPad accounted for 65% of the 18.2M shipments, while Samsung moved into second place with 1.1M.
HBO GO To Light Up Amazon's Kindle Fire
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
About 1 Million Watch Chelsea Handler Say So Long To E! As Gwen Stefani Nearly Fumbles Another TV Appearance: Video
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content