International soccer’s popularity among U.S. viewers continues to grow rapidly. Following record ratings for the Men’s World Cup Finals in 2010, the 2012 UEFA European Football Championship is scoring major ratings increases too. Through the 24 matches in the group stage of the championship jointly hosted by Poland and Ukraine, ESPN’s live English-language broadcasts have averaged 1 million viewers, up 82% versus the group stage matches in the previous championship in 2008. The most-watched match in the group stage was a 1-1 tie in Group C between Spain and Italy on Sunday, June 10, which was seen by an average audience of 2.1 million, larger than any of the 31 telecasts in 2008, except the final on ABC between Germany vs. Spain, which was watched by an average of 3.8 million viewers. The elimination rounds of Euro 2012 start tomorrow, and with most favorites still in the running, including Italy, Spain, England, Portugal, Germany and France, the championship will likely continue to deliver big ratings for ESPN.
Euro 2012 Nets ESPN Big Rating Increases
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; 'Girls Trip' Hot At $27M+; 'Valerian' Falling To Earth With $16M
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
Sean Spicer Resigns As Anthony Scaramucci Named White House Communications Director; Trump Lauds "His Great Television Ratings"
Latest TV News
- ‘Marvel’s The Defenders’ Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series…
- ‘Vikings’ Gets Trailer & Season Premiere Date – Comic-Con
- Crime Experts On Bellum Entertainment Shows Halt Work Until Back Wages Are Paid
- Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy ‘Saturday Night Live’ Parody “Funny”; Sean Hannity Reminds Him…
- ‘Iron Fist’ Renewed For Season 2 On Netflix – Comic-Con
- ‘The Punisher’ Drops New Teaser In Hall H – Comic-Con