It’s far too late for David Beckham to become a big star in the United States. And now the news is out that he can’t even bend it for the British Olympic team. Granted, he’s been credited with helping London win the bid to host the Summer Olympics this year. But on Wednesday, team manager Stuart Pearce reportedly alerted Beckham that he didn’t make the cut as one of the three older players on the UK Olympic soccer squad. (Pearce had the right to choose a trio of men over the age of 23). Beckham, who occasionally plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy pro team, might have been a big audience draw. Now the former captain of England’s national team out will sit on the sidelines. London 2012 chair Sebastien Coe said, “I will be talking to him about a Games time role.”
David Beckham Didn't Make UK Olympic Team
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Peter Kujawski Named Managing Director Of Universal Pictures Int'l Productions
- 'Mommy' To Rep Canada In Foreign-Lingo Oscar Race; Belgium Picks 'Two Days, One Night'
- Annabelle Wallis Joins Armie Hammer In Psychological Thriller 'Mine'
- Scotland Votes To Remain In The UK: Political Changes Loom, Effect On Film & TV Biz Uncertain
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?
- ITV Closes Curtain On 'Rising Star'; UK Version Will Not Go Forward