Less than two months before The Expendables 2 comes out, Sylvester Stallone today scored an action hero legal victory. Judge Jed Rakoff rejected Marcus Webb’s claims that The Expendables was his original idea and Sly stole it. Webb sued Stallone, the retro action flick’s co-author David Callaham, Millennium Films, Nu Image Films and Lionsgate in late October 2011. In his initial suit, Webb said he circulated a script several years ago among studios about “elite highly trained mercenaries” recruited to defeat a dictator. Webb alleged that the screenplay for The Expendables is “strikingly similar and in some places identical” to his The Cordoba Caper. Webb claimed that Stallone, who directed, co-wrote and starred in The Expendables, and his team must have seen his script because they were so alike. The Rocky star’s lawyers said that was unlikely especially being that one was an action movie and Webb’s was more of a caper flick. The lawyers also pointed out that Callaham had already written several drafts of what was to become 2010’s The Expendables before Webb’s script was even out there. The judge, who said a more formal order would be forthcoming, obviously agreed. The Expendables 2 comes out on August 17, 2012.
Court Sides With Stallone Over 'Expendables' Script
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
Latest Film News
- Kevin Spacey Costs Netflix $39 Million In Write-Downs In Fourth Quarter
- Ryan Reynolds’ Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is ‘Clue’ With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Reese…
- NEON Snags Rights To ‘Monsters And Men’ At Sundance
- 'Come Sunday' Director Joshua Marston On His Subject Having Faith In Him – Sundance Studio
- ‘The Rose’ Broadway Musical In The Works From The Jackal Group
- ‘White Fang’ Star Nick Offerman Enthuses Over Pic’s “Important” Environmental Message…