It was a big poke in the eye for the Comcast board, and a surprise at a company where CEO Brian Roberts controls 33% of the voting shares. The owner of NBCUniversal disclosed today that shareholders yesterday cast more than 186.5M votes in favor of a management-opposed resolution calling on Comcast to seek shareholder approval before reinstating an anti-takeover plan called a poison pill which expires in November. Supporters say that shareholders could benefit if an outside company made a high offer to buy Comcast, even if management opposed a deal. A poison pill would block a hostile takeover by flooding the market with Comcast shares, making the acquisition uneconomical. ISS Proxy Advisory Services urged investors to support the resolution, saying that poison pills typically just entrench management and leave shareholders with “minimal say in the governance of the company.” Supporters also say that there’s little risk of a hostile takeover at Comcast considering how many votes Roberts controls. That carried the day as just 171.4M votes — presumably including those cast by Roberts — supported the company’s view that the poison pill would benefit shareholders. The board says that it allows management to “preempt the use of coercive takeover tactics” and seek the highest possible price from a potential acquirer. The shareholder vote is not binding on Comcast, although the board would raise a lot of people’s hackles if it ignored the results.
Comcast Shareholders Buck Management And Demand A Say On Anti-Takeover Plan
What's Hot on Deadline
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest Film News
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The…