Diego Luna is directing and Hotel Rwanda scribe Keir Pearson wrote the script for Chavez, starring Michael Pena as the famed labor organizer. Participant Media has landed all North American rights to the project, which focuses on Chavez organizing the largest non-violent protest in U.S. history to aid more than 50,000 farm workers in California. Luna’s Canana Films is producing the biopic, currently filming in Sonora, Mexico, and co-starring America Ferrera, Rosario Dawson, Wes Bentley, Michael Cudlitz and Gabriel Mann. Canana principals Pablo Cruz, Gael Garcia Bernal (who has a cameo role in the film) and Luna are producing with John Malkovich (who stars as Bogdanovich, one of Chavez’s key adversaries), Lianne Halfon and Russell Smith of Mr. Mudd, Pearson and Larry Meli. Jeff Skoll and Jonathan King are executive producing. Jonathan King and COO Jeff Ivers negotiated the rights deal for Participant, and Robert and Matt Wallerstein of Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof and Fishman negotiated on behalf of Canana.
Participant Acquires Cesar Chavez Biopic 'Chavez'
What's Hot on Deadline
Jennifer Lawrence Becomes A 'Red Sparrow': 20th Century Fox Unveils Intense Spy Trailer At CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Netflix 1st Animated Film ‘America:’ Channing Tatum Voicing George Washington
- Lionsgate CinemaCon Reel: ‘American Assassin’, ‘Hitman’s Bodyguard’, ‘Latin Lover’…
- Bruce Willis Starrer ‘Acts Of Violence’ Adds Rotimi Akinosho
- Why Kumail Nanjiani & Emily Gordon Went With Amazon On Their New Film ‘The Big Sick’ – CinemaCon
- Sundance Winner ‘Last Men In Aleppo’ Lands At Grasshopper Film For May Release
- Rising Rivers, Torrential Rains & A Bug In Charlie Hunnam’s Ear: The Pains Of Making Amazon’s ‘Lost City Of Z’…