Programming execs described pricing for scatter ads in Q1 as being stable, but now we have a clearer idea of what that means: The average unit cost for a 30-second prime time spot on the major broadcast networks dipped 2% vs the period last year to $111,754, according to an analysis out today from media agency TargetCast. The firm, using data from NetCosts and research firm SQAD, says that Fox was on top with $198,088. It was followed by CBS ($115,772), ABC ($95,992) and NBC ($86,914). Although prices dipped slightly, TargetCast says that Q1 was the eighth straight quarter in which ad prices “were virtually flat or increased.” That’s a contrast to the previous period when broadcasters’ unit costs fell as they grappled with declining ratings and the recession. The scatter market was softer this year, TargetCast says, because many advertisers — scared by soaring scatter prices in 2010 and 2011 as the economy recovered — committed more of their budgets to upfront sales. As for cable, prices to reach 24-to-54 year olds at the top 15 ad-supported networks rose 3% to $12,998. ESPN led the pack at $37,329, with TNT a distant second at $18,071.
Broadcast TV Unit Ad Prices Slipped Slightly In Q1: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
'Split' Soars To Mid-$30M After Solid $2M Start; 'xXx,' $1.2M, 'Founder,' $105K In Previews As 'Hidden Figures' Stays Strong - Friday - UPDATE
Hollywood Reacts To Trump Inauguration: "Country Is Lost", Tweets Alec Baldwin; Scott Baio Proud To Be "Deplorable"
Obama Can't Stop Speechifying As President Trump Signs First Bill, Forcing TV Networks To Make Choices
Latest TV News
- Feds Want ‘Dance Moms’ Abby Lee Miller To Get 2.5 Years In Prison For Fraud Case
- Nicollette Sheridan’s ‘Desperate Housewives’ Case Gets Tossed – Again
- Kourtney Kang Coming-Of-Age Comedy Gets NBC Pilot Order, Casts Young Lead
- ‘Queen Of The South’: Yancey Arias Set To Recur In Season 2
- Obama Vs. Trump Inauguration Crowd Size: Photos Tell Story
- ‘Girl Meets World’ Finale: Creator On Topanga’s Choice, New Network Search & Season 4