EXCLUSIVE: Director Emmett Malloy’s documentary about a train tour by folk bands Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Britain’s Mumford & Son has been generating strong buzz on the film festival circuit. But regardless of how it performs, S2BN Films’ Big Easy Express has the distinction today of being the first feature film distributed globally (in 50 countries) for sale and rental on iTunes ahead of any other platform, including theaters. The producers and the bands were able to make the deal with Apple because they own all of the global rights to the film and music. Apple also will be first to offer the soundtrack when that’s released. “We always wanted to incorporate a global digital platform into our release strategy and to find a novel approach to bringing Big Easy Express to both new and traditional film audiences,” Malloy and the film’s producers said in a joint statement. “We are delighted to be working with all of our partners in crafting an innovative distribution model.” On July 24 Alliance Entertainment will introduce Big Easy Express in a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack. Later this year it will go to multiple subscription VOD outlets and theaters before moving to conventional television in early 2013.
'Big Easy Express' Becomes The First Feature Film Launched Globally On iTunes
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine's Show Only Because He Is Fan, "Plain And Simple"
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Jumanji’: How Director Jake Kasdan & Producer Matt Tolmach Are Changing The Game Of The Classic Book…
- Universal Sets Doctor Dolittle Film With Robert Downey Jr. For 2019
- Sony CinemaCon Presentation: ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’, ‘Blade Runner 2049’, ‘Dark Tower’, ‘Emoji Movie’ & More…
- WGA West's Board Votes Tonight On Whether To Send Strike-Authorization Ballots To Members
- Paramount Sets Release Dates For ‘Suburbicon’, ‘Action Point’ & ‘A Quiet Place’…
- Amber Heard Attached To Star In ‘The Kind Worth Killing’