CEO Tim Armstrong is following through on his vow to give back to shareholders all of the $1B+ that Microsoft recently paid for more than 800 AOL patents. In addition to previous share repurchases, the company says the new arrangement means it plans to return $1.1B this year to its investors. Reducing the number of shares “at attractive prices underscores both financial prudence and our significant belief in the opportunity in front of AOL,” Armstrong says. The sale will be conducted as a so-called modified Dutch auction, giving shareholders opportunities to sell their holdings at anywhere from $27 to $30 a share — although in the end everyone will receive the same price. If the offer is fully subscribed, then AOL’s repurchase could amount to as much as 15.8% of its outstanding shares. The stock closed yesterday at $27.31 and is up nearly 4% in pre-market trading. AOL says that it has to return the $1B from Microsoft in multiple stages to avoid a big tax hit. Allen & Co is managing the sale.
AOL Says It Will Use Proceeds From Patent Sale To Repurchase $400M Of Its Shares
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
Latest TV News
- Actress Accuses ‘Girls’ EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him…
- Netflix Orders Comedy Series Starring Rev Run From Amblin TV & ABC Signature
- ‘She’s Gotta Have It’ Review: Gotta Watch Spike Lee’s TV Version Of 1986 Movie
- CBS Gives ‘S.W.A.T’ Full-Season Order, Picks Up 3 More Episodes Of ‘9JKL’, No Decision Yet On ‘Wisdom Of the Crowd…
- ‘Dietland’ Casts Ricardo Davila As Regular; Dale Whibley Joins ‘Ice’
- Liza Koshy To Star In New YouTube Red Comedy Series ‘Liza On Demand’