So far, the domestic deals at the Cannes Film Festival have been for the most part sluggish, but that might perk up a bit tomorrow. There’s first showing of the Lee Daniels-directed The Paperboy, which is high on buyer wanna-see lists, with a ballsy performance by Nicole Kidman. The other film I’m hearing has action is the Pablo Larrain-directed No with Gael Garcia Bernal. Word is that Sony Pictures Classics is into it. That film, which premiered last Friday in Directors’ Fortnight, is about an ad exec who comes up with a campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile’s 1988 referendum. The deals will have to get rolling considerably for the festival to have a chance at matching last Cannes. Numerous buyers battling the dreary weather feel that the high number of films brought to Cannes has slowed the pace, and there hasn’t been much so far that distributors feel they absolutely had to have. The worthy ones will get deals after the festivals, but some of the packages that didn’t excite buyers probably won’t make it to the start line.
Will 'Paperboy' Heat Domestic Buying At Cannes? Will SPC Say Yes To 'No'?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
Latest Film News
- Studiocanal, Neal Street Climb Enid Blyton’s ‘Magic Faraway Tree’; Simon Farnaby To Pen
- Charles Manson: Finally, Death Gets One Right
- Read Weinstein Bidder Maria Contreras-Sweet’s Pitch: $275 Million And Female-Centric Leadership
- ‘A Wrinkle In Time’ Trailer Includes New Fantastical Footage From Disney’s Ava DuVernay-Directed Adaptation
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- 'Roman J. Israel, Esq.' Bows OK; 'Three Billboards' & 'Lady Bird' Extend Robust Runs – Specialty Box Office